This prepaid card PIN cannot be used to renew this subscription ... RRS feed

• Question

• Folks

Based on information in this forum, I purchased a retail copy of OneCare to use the Product Key to renew my subscription to OneCare.

I input the Product Key, and the response is: "This prepaid card PIN cannot be used to renew this subscription. Please make sure you use the correct prepaid card for this subscription."

I have tried several times, including variations to the key to overcome possible unclear letters, but without success.

I logged a techincal support request with Micorsoft and one of their support people tried some troubleshooting ideas, also without success. I was surprised when he said that the Product Key does not appear to be valid.

However, from all appearances including packaging, included CD, and the label used for the Product Key - this copy of OneCare is genuine. I note that my copy is a 'Service Desk Edition'.

Has anyone else had similar problems or found a workaround?

In the mean time I have contacted the original software vendor for their assistance.

Goosenman

Friday, October 3, 2008 11:00 AM

Answers

• You have taken the correct course of action since the version you were sold is designed for the use of a Service Technician to install on a customer PC. Since this really shouldn't end up in the hands of a regular consumer I'm not surprised the key can't be used for a subscription extension. What does surprise me is that OneCare Support wouldn't know this if you mentioned it to them?

Here's another discussion of the same issue in the past, though neither of these people returned to report their key didn't work. It may be this has been changed once OneCare Support became aware of the incorrect distribution.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2750044&SiteID=2

I'd suggest that you ask the software vendor for a normal version of OneCare and let them know that they are selling a product not intended for consumers. They should have an avenue to discuss this directly with Microsoft or at least with a distributor who can determine what product they should be selling.

OneCareBear

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:01 PM

All replies

• You have taken the correct course of action since the version you were sold is designed for the use of a Service Technician to install on a customer PC. Since this really shouldn't end up in the hands of a regular consumer I'm not surprised the key can't be used for a subscription extension. What does surprise me is that OneCare Support wouldn't know this if you mentioned it to them?

Here's another discussion of the same issue in the past, though neither of these people returned to report their key didn't work. It may be this has been changed once OneCare Support became aware of the incorrect distribution.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2750044&SiteID=2

I'd suggest that you ask the software vendor for a normal version of OneCare and let them know that they are selling a product not intended for consumers. They should have an avenue to discuss this directly with Microsoft or at least with a distributor who can determine what product they should be selling.

OneCareBear

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Goosenman,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare Program forums.

In an effort to provide further support, please email any details to where and how you were able to

purchase this edition of OneCare or screenshots at oc-forums@live.com

Lori MS

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:47 PM