none
Repliers marking own reply as the answer RRS feed

• Question

• It seems to me, and correct me if I'm off base, but a reply should only be marked as "the answer" by the person who originally posed the question.  I am increasingly seeing replies to my posts marked as "the answer" by someone other than me.  Once in a while they suffice as the answer, but most often it looks like someone trying to score some forum "points" to me.  Why is the forum set up this way?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what your are trying to accomplish.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 6:05 PM

All replies

• run4it,

You are absolutely correct.  I can see why some moderator would mark an answer if after some period of time there has been no activity on a thread, but not after a few hours simply because he or she agrees with it.  The questioner may have need of further clarification and marking the questioned as answered reduces the chances that others will add their valuable comments to the discussion.

Also if the questioner disagrees or does not understand the answer this puts him in a position of having to seem rude or argumentative by having to un-mark the answer.

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:47 PM
  • I've unmarked a lot of mine lately, and honestly I don't want to waste the time.  I came back from a few days vacation and replies were marked as answers that I hadn't even seen yet!  So what can be done about this?  Is there a way to have moderators consider that only questioners can mark something as an answer?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what your are trying to accomplish.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 10:47 PM