HP Laptop Pavillion dv6000 - web cam RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, my webcam has not been functioning with MSN Messenger.  I contacted HP to fix the problem and their feedback was that it was MS One Care, firewal and anti-virus were inhibiting the functionality.  I contacted the support team for OneCare received a generic email, but got no response back to my concern and felt like they were just 'passing the buck'.  Can anyone help?

Joe
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:25 PM

Answers

• Actually, I think it is HP support passing the buck and I'd suggest going back to HP Support. I had a problem with a different model HP laptop, the dv2660se running Vista Home Premium, and the webcam not working exactly as you described and I got a fix from them.

I cannot tell you that this applies to your laptop, so I'd confirm with HP Support, but here is what I got from them:

The cause of this issue is due to corrupted webcam drivers on your notebook.

To resolve the issue, I recommend you to update the webcam drivers, following the below steps:

1. Click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, and then System icon.
    2. This opens the System properties window.
    3. Select Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
    4. From device manager.
    5. Update driver
    6. Let me choose
    7. Show a list to select from.
    8. USB Video Device
    9. Select driver, Driver is USBdevice.sys

Now, I recommend you to install the drivers from the below link:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36128.exe

Installation Instructions:
    1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.
    2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Now check with the issue.

To confirm that it is *not* OneCare, you can open OneCare and click change settings, then turn off the firewall and the virus and spyware protection. If the webcam still does not work, it isn't OneCare, but their driver.

-steve

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:57 AM