none
ofx imports pocketsense RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Pocketsence which is working but the ofx file which getdata makes contains only stock quotes and bond quotes.

When importing the file into money, ten quotes are not entered into money, the ten quotes are all the bond quotes.

I have looked at my ticker(dummy) account which states there are ten positions to read. Clicking on that statement an investment verification box opens giving a choice of selecting the quote to be imported as a new investment or an existing investment with a different name. The drop down box does contains the name of only one of my bonds which is not the first named bond to be read or quote to be entered.

If I select the other option to state that the bond is a new investment I am informed that the file already exists in the drop down box. That is not true.

Is there any way this problem can be resolved I have changed the name of the first bond to exactly the same name in the ofx file and that does not work. I would have thought that the import would look at the symbol and match that to the quotes to be imported. It would be helpful if some one could give me a solution to this problem. I am using ms money plus deluxe,version 17.0.120.3817

Keith Robertson

Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:57 PM

All replies

• I suspect that the thing that you set up in Money as a Bond may be a bond fund.

So if you have a section in your OFX file that says

<SECLIST>
    <MFINFO>

or <SECLIST><MFINFO> that then names the security you are talking about, that is coming in as a mutual fund.

I don't know if you can change a bond to a mutual fund in Money. You may just have to address that manually by creating a  new mutual fund security. Your existing transactions should be modified (if you can) or voided and replaced by new transactions.

Note that for bonds, the pricing is a percent of "par" and Quantity is the number of $1000 par units. Seldom do you ever want to enter a price. Instead enter a Quantity and Total; let Money compute price.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Cal,
    Thank you for your prompt reply.

The bond funds have been set up as corporate bonds.The OFX file does not contain either
    <SECLIST>
    <MFINFO>
    or <SECLIST><MFINFO>

I was surprised that the bond prices were not accepted by Money as the ofx file states the name of the investment and it's ticker or symbol.However the Money import probably thinks the bonds are stocks and for that reason the price update is denied.

The Money program import is far more sophisticated than I thought.
    I also think the money software did not accommodate the import of bond prices for the reason stated in the last sentence of your reply.In that when the program software was set up to import only stock and fund prices.I cannot remember if bond prices were updated before Microsoft stopped the updating service.It might be that I did not track the price of bonds until after Microsoft stopped updating stock quotes.

I need to watch the bond prices as some of the bonds are index linked with regards to the coupon and par value.There are also perpetual bonds which do not have a maturity value. The price of these bonds can rise and fall dramatically,particularly so with the recent turmoil in the financial markets.
    However if the bonds are bought only for income when issued and held to maturity, then the increase or decrease in the price of the bond is not so important.

I may hold the bonds to maturity or sell them if I think they are over valued.It is for that reason I track the fluctuations in the price.It also gives a more accurate view of my net-worth.

If there is no way that the bond prices can be updated using PocketSense, I think that I can cope with updating the bond prices manually.
    KR
    • Edited by Keith168 Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:28 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:25 AM
  • OK... I should not have said to look for those two tags adjacent. Sorry. Just look for <MFINFO>. See if you can spot your security of interest.  Note the type of **INFO tag it is within.

If these are really bond funds, it is going to be best to change them to be mutual funds. Look at the details for the security in Money to see how these have been defined in Money. For price downloads via OFX, it is best to match the type that Money uses. Your choice are

Types include MF, OTHER, STOCK and others.  So you can have <MFINFO> <OTHERINFO> <STOCKINFO> as the common types. Which type of record is the security you are trying to get working enclosed in?

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:23 PM
  • In my previous post I may have confused you on the type of investment I am having problems with.They are not  bond funds which suggests mutual funds but are in fact actual bonds The investments are essentially  loans to the issuing company for a set period of time at a set interest rate.
    In reply to your questions the only tags I could find are <stockinfo><stockinfo> which appear in the"quotes"date"ofx" file, generated by pocket sense. The same code appears whether it is a bond or stock.
    Below is a part of the code but the code is the same for a stock quote, e.g. the word "Stock" could be substituted for "Bond"
    <SECID>
    </SECINFO>
    </STOCKINFO><STOCKINFO>
    <SECINFO>
    <UNIQUEID>"Bond Symbol"
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>TICKER
    </SECID>
    <SECNAME>"Bond Name"
    <TICKER>"Bond Symbol"
    <UNITPRICE> Bond Price
    <DTASOF>20131031123700[-5:EST]

I have also checked in money the details page of each bond investment which are all listed as types of corporate bond. In the Portfolio manager page/ asset allocation these investments are also all listed as bonds.
    I have changed the investment type of two of these bond investments to mutual funds and the price of each bond has updated.
    Unless you can suggest an easier way of updating these bond prices I will change all the investment types of these bonds to mutual funds.
    • Edited by Keith168 Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:11 PM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Keith, you have determined the problem nicely. Well done navigating the OFX file.

The price of a bond in Money is expressed as a percent of par (the face value). So prices would be things like 101, or maybe 70 for a very long zero coupon bond. In Money, Quantity for a bond is the total of face values.

If these reported prices are much higher, then they are not bond prices that Money would expect for a bond.

In your example above, the security is described as a stock. Therefore it would be better to make them stocks rather than MF.

I now think you have securities such as ALQ-- a NYSE traded bond. I think you want to enter these as stocks.

http://www.dividendyieldhunter.com/exchanged-traded-debt-issues-sorted-alphabetically
    has a list of such securities.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:25 PM