3.5 vs 4 certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I started to think about getting a certification somewhere around a year ago, thinking of two options:

1. MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5 ASP .NET Applications which would imply exams 70-536 and 70-562

2. MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5 Windows Forms Applications which would imply 70-536 and 70-505

I didn't start studying for them yet as I was 6 months short of completing college and am currently employed as software developer in C# (junior level, not very advanced). I just waited to finish college and gather some more experience and also took some c# 3.5 framework classes which covered all topics in 70-536 exam. Now, as I'm motivated and ready to go for a certification, I noticed that my first two options are still available for certification but 2 new appeared:

1. MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Windows Applications with exam 70-511

2. MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Web Applications with exam 70-515

My question for you guys is this: Should I look for some materials and just go for either 70-511 or 70-515 or should i concentrate on 70-536 and just figure later (in a few months) which exam comes next 70-562/70-505 depending on the technology I choose to follow.

Please note that I've already mentioned I'm not very experienced in .net and I'm currently "tasting" from both Windows Forms and ASP.NET with better knowledge of the first one. I'm not debating wich one to choose but only wich exams to prepare for. I'm assuming that the new framework 4 exams are a lot more difficult since they should cover both 70-536 and the corresponding technology exam. Will the 3.5 certification still make a difference for employers? Will it expire some day, now that the framework 4 is here with certification options as well?

Thanks in advance for your time and guidance in helping me choose a starting path as a developer.

Have a nice day!

l.e.: I've just took a look at the exams needed for the MC Professional Developer in both scenarios. If I go for the framework 4 certification I should pass 4 exams for the MCPD for both Windows and Web Developer 4:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2

While if I go for the 3.5 one, I only need 3 exams for each scenarios. (see the same link but for VS 2008 instead of 2010)

Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would go for the .Net 4 certifications. That is the current version. So you have one exam less (no 70-536) and you are directly rewarted with a MCTS title.

And yes - with version 3.5 you get 2 very simple MCPD titles. But all people know, that these simply does not contain any ADO.Net and WCF certifications!

So with version 4 Microsoft decided to drop these "easy" MCPD titles (where they maybe thought: Someone who just writes simple dsktop applications - is that a professional developer? Withou knowledge of ADO.Net and WCF?) and only kept the enterprise level ones (So they split it up into a Web and a windows one).

And from the technical point: I think you want to be certified with the current technology and that includes MVC with ASP.Net and WPF with desktop applications! (Part of the 4.0 exams!)

That is just my personal view but maybe it was of some help.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:43 AM
    Answerer