HS size on new install. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed WHS on a new PC with 7TB's on space.
    It partitioned off the 20GB for OS and ...
      Under Disk Management it reports 20GB OS, 2TB NTFS and 5TB Unalocated.
      In Windows Console it reports full 7 TB's but the chart shows System as using 5TB's (???) and 2TB's in Free space.

So what do I believe here?
    I know there is an issue about >2TB's, but searching I couldnt get a straight answer to this.

Thanks
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:45 AM

Answers

• Hello,

In Windows Console it reports full 7 TB's but the chart shows System as using 5TB's (???) and 2TB's in Free space.

I know there is an issue about >2TB's, but searching I couldnt get a straight answer to this.

Thanks
    (No doubt you used hardware RAID to combine hard drives into one big 7 TB drive, right?)

First, using RAID on WHS is unsupported.  Second, WHS doesn't use GPT disks so the most you will ever see on a "single drive" (whether it's one physical drive or multiple physical drives combined using RAID) is 2 TB.  You should break your array and present each drive to WHS as it's own (and not part of a RAID array).
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks
    (No doubt you used hardware RAID to combine hard drives into one big 7 TB drive, right?)

First, using RAID on WHS is unsupported.  Second, WHS doesn't use GPT disks so the most you will ever see on a "single drive" (whether it's one physical drive or multiple physical drives combined using RAID) is 2 TB.  You should break your array and present each drive to WHS as it's own (and not part of a RAID array).
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Kariya,

I am not looking for a lesson on using RAID in WHS and how it's upsupported.
    I've been running a smaller <2TB Raid-5 on my WHS server since the 1st RTM WHS when it lost ALL my data.

BTW, What is MS stance on when >2TB HD's will be out?

Just found my solution:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/e9f9d27a-f8b1-4fc0-872b-bc8e3b2609f0

Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:33 PM