Help: Synchronising Visual Studio projects between computers via Live Mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Live Mesh to synchronise documents, browser favourites and personal development projects for some time.
    I've recently had a curious problem which seems to have Live Mesh at its root.
    I installed the Silverlight 3 SDK and Visual Studio tools on two computers and started work on Scott Guthrie's 8-part tutorial referenced on silverlight.net. I completed all eight parts of the tutorial on one machine - all the time the project folder was synchronising with Live Mesh.

On completion of the tutorial I decided to switch to using my other computer.
    Live Mesh seemed to have synchronoised the tutorial projects to my other computer. However, I found the Silverlight image controls used in the projects did not load images from remote web sites.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the synchronisation - but the problem persisted. The same project worked correctly on one machine but not on the other.  I assumed this meant there was a problem with the dev environments on the two machines.

However, I then tried using a USB stick to copy the project from the PC on which it was working to the machine on which the project was not working correctly. Having copied the project between the two machines the "old fashioned" way, the project works correctly on both machines.

So, I guess the question is, is there any issue in using Live Mesh to synchronise Visual Studio projects between computers via Live Mesh?
    In my case, one machine runs VS 2008 Standard and the other runs VS 2008 Pro. Does that make any difference?

I haven't observed any such issues with my other dev projects. Is there any specific issue with Silverlight 3 projects being synchronised via Live Mesh?

Any suggestions / explanations welcome!

Thanks,
    -Gavin

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:03 PM

Answers

• I created a simple testbed Silverlight project with a grid of textblocks, overlaid with image controls.
    The image controls all referenced remote images from a variety of websites.
    I observed the same behaviour as before - the project worked correctly and displayed the images on one computer, but only displayed the underlying textblocks on the computer to which the project was synchronised by Live Mesh.

I eventually traced this to the Visual Studio *.suo file.
    This is hidden by default and therefore not synchronised by Live Mesh.

On the computer to which the project is synchronoised by Live Mesh, the hidden *.suo file is not present. When the project is opened in Visual Studio a *.suo file is created (actually on closing the project again).

I don't know what's in the *.suo file that could be influencing the behaviour of image controls, but if I manually copy the *.suo file from the computer on which the project works to the other computer, the image controls suddenly work correctly.

In summary, Live Mesh is doing what it is supposed to be doing, so I guess this issue can be closed now.

I still don't know what Visual Studio is doing differently on the two computers that results in this difference in behaviour. I'll try and find a Silverlight forum to see if anyone there knows what might be happening.

-Gavin

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:11 PM

All replies

• My gut feeling is that some files were not synchronized via Live Mesh - perhaps they are unsupported file types. I'll leave this open for now as I can't confirm this.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Thanks Stephen. That was my gut feeling too, but I haven't been able to prove it yet.
    I was surprised because I hadn't observed any problems with other projects - including WPF projects. So far it only seems to have been my Silverlight project that has had any issues, and even that was quite subtle. As I said everything worked, except for the image controls. That made me think about firewall issues, but that wasn't it, then I considered maybe some project config file hadn't synchronised but I haven't been able to find out what if anything didn't sync.

I'll maybe try a controlled experiment with a new project and see what happens.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I'll be interested in learning your findings. Since they are iamge controls, is it possible that the controls didn't have relative paths to the actual images, but static paths that didn't match actual locations when the project synchronized?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:04 PM
  • I created a simple testbed Silverlight project with a grid of textblocks, overlaid with image controls.
    The image controls all referenced remote images from a variety of websites.
    I observed the same behaviour as before - the project worked correctly and displayed the images on one computer, but only displayed the underlying textblocks on the computer to which the project was synchronised by Live Mesh.

I eventually traced this to the Visual Studio *.suo file.
    This is hidden by default and therefore not synchronised by Live Mesh.

On the computer to which the project is synchronoised by Live Mesh, the hidden *.suo file is not present. When the project is opened in Visual Studio a *.suo file is created (actually on closing the project again).

I don't know what's in the *.suo file that could be influencing the behaviour of image controls, but if I manually copy the *.suo file from the computer on which the project works to the other computer, the image controls suddenly work correctly.

In summary, Live Mesh is doing what it is supposed to be doing, so I guess this issue can be closed now.

I still don't know what Visual Studio is doing differently on the two computers that results in this difference in behaviour. I'll try and find a Silverlight forum to see if anyone there knows what might be happening.

-Gavin

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Excellent, Gavin. Thanks for the detective work and the detailed follow-up.
    -steve
    Friday, July 24, 2009 11:32 AM