OneCare for Servers on SBS 2008 and Windows Firewall RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently migrated a Small Business Server from 2003 to 2008.  I decided to try OneCare for my network using OneCare for Servers on the SBS server and installing OneCare on all domain PCs.  I believe the SBS network must have a group policy to enable Windows Firewall, so now on all PCs both the Windows Firewall and OneCare Firewall are running.  How do I correct this issue?  Should I change the group policy that is forcing Windows Firewall to be on?  If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:53 AM

Answers

• I do not have personal experience with OneCare for Server. However, it is my understanding that OneCare for Server in the SBS environment does not use the OneCare firewall, though it may appear that it is. It is using the Windows firewall, administered via SBS, to the best of my knowledge. Help is a bit sparse for OneCare for Server, but the "about" topic does not mention the OneCare firewall as a feature:

About Windows Live OneCare for Server

Windows Live OneCare for Server helps protect, maintain, and keep your computer and computers in your OneCare circle up to date with the following features:

• Real-time antivirus monitoring and on-demand virus scanning.
    • If you choose to use this feature, automatic backups of important files in case the hard disk crashes or if any of your other security measures fail.
    • Automatic tune-up sessions to help improve the security and performance of your computer.
    • Notification of important Microsoft updates.
    • Automatic updates for the latest virus definitions and updates to OneCare for Server.
    • Advisories about urgent threats and security updates.

You may want to confirm this with support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:06 PM

All replies

• I do not have personal experience with OneCare for Server. However, it is my understanding that OneCare for Server in the SBS environment does not use the OneCare firewall, though it may appear that it is. It is using the Windows firewall, administered via SBS, to the best of my knowledge. Help is a bit sparse for OneCare for Server, but the "about" topic does not mention the OneCare firewall as a feature:

About Windows Live OneCare for Server

Windows Live OneCare for Server helps protect, maintain, and keep your computer and computers in your OneCare circle up to date with the following features:

• Real-time antivirus monitoring and on-demand virus scanning.
    • If you choose to use this feature, automatic backups of important files in case the hard disk crashes or if any of your other security measures fail.
    • Automatic tune-up sessions to help improve the security and performance of your computer.
    • Notification of important Microsoft updates.
    • Automatic updates for the latest virus definitions and updates to OneCare for Server.
    • Advisories about urgent threats and security updates.

You may want to confirm this with support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:06 PM
  • I'm actually referring to the PCs in the OneCare circle.  You are correct that the SBS 2008 server uses Windows Firewall and not OneCare Firewall.  However, the PCs in the OneCare Circle now have both Windows Firewall and OneCare Firewall enabled.  I'm wondering how best to address this for the OneCare circle machines.  They are managed by the SBS 2008 server, so not sure whether to change the group policy to disable Windows Firewall or disable OneCare Firewall.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:43 PM
  • No, as I understand it, the client PCs in an SBS 2008 network are not using the OneCare firewall, though it may appear to be so. I don't think you'll have two firewalls running.

I can't find that documented, but since you are managing the PCs from the server, I believe that you are managing the Windows firewall, though the client may report that the OneCare firewall is on or off.

Your best bet is to pursue this with support, who should have better documentation on this than what's in the Help content.

-steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:49 AM