none
Old forum was much better RRS feed

• General discussion

• First of all the whole site looks like message board for teenagers. The forums come up in a seemingly random order, and the site is slow. I'm not sure what improvements have been made, but I can't see any of them. I don't see any use in the "Browse by Tag" feature. Maybe that's great for blog sites, but we're all professionals here and know how to use an "advanced" search page. We come here for answers, not just to browse around. That's what blogs are for.

Can someone point out any new features that are useful now?
    Friday, June 20, 2008 2:21 PM

All replies

• bpeikes:

I agree with you that the new forum appearance is garish. I'm getting used to it, but I don't like it.

Some good features you may not have noticed:

1. Preview -- you can expand the thread in the forum view, without going to thread view (which is a page reload).

2. You can reply from this preview, again avoiding a page reload (this is a new feature in the latest upgrade).

3. When replying (either from forum view or thread view) you can see the whole thread, not just the post you are replying to.

These gains are achieved at the cost of a rather strange "semi-floating" reply box, which always occupies the lower portion of the window. The reply window itself is also very poorly implemented, compared to the old  forums.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, June 20, 2008 2:44 PM