Consumers punished for re-sellers illegal practices! RRS feed

• Question

• Purchased a Windows XP Pro OEM license (*not* a COA, but a LICENSE) from Ion Technologies Inc. 3 years ago.  What they sent was a COA, but it's all good because they're a "Genuine Microsoft Products" reseller, right?  "It'll work with your OEM Windows XP Pro installation CD" they said.  They were right.  Activation worked fine multiple times (yes, the same pc). 

Out of the blue (eariler in 2006), blue star appears in system tray saying I may be the victim of software piracy.  Ion Technologies Inc. tells me to get lost, basically.

I do a clean reinstall using same COA w/ same Genuine Windows XP Professional OEM CD but am unable to activate over internet & telephone option says, "Our records show that this copy of Windows XP was licensed to be preinstalled on a new pc by the computer manufacturer and may have been installed with an incorrect product key."  What?

I'm told by a post on MS forum that my COA doesn't have "OEM" on it.  So what?  It didn't need "OEM" on it when I bought it from a "Genuine Microsoft Products" reseller website in 2003.  It didn't need it when I reinstalled the OS twice in 2004.

Okay, so what media/CD does work with this COA?  Any?  In 2003, Microsoft says OEM CD works fine.  Now it doesn't?

I must have 30 systems out there w/ COA's that don't have "OEM" on it that I bought from 30 different vendors between 2002 and 2003 that worked just fine.  I suppose they'll start dropping like flies, too.

I'll say it again:

I've filed counterfeit reports with Microsoft.  I've filed reports to the BBB.  I've submitted every form and ran every test Microsoft has asked me to.  Yet, I'm still out the 120 bucks.  I still don't have anyone dangling a legit license in front of me for the time and money I've spent.

How is Ion Technologies Inc. still in business getting away with the practices they use and how are they are still able to display a "Genuine Microsoft Products" on their website?  Disgusting.

What this tells me is that "Genuine" means NOTHING.  It also tells me that Microsoft is DOING NOTHING with the report(s) I've filed.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 1:47 AM

Answers

•  

Darek:

I do believe we have lawsuits filed against Ion Tech (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/sep05/09-19PiracyEnfSept05PR.mspx) actually, thanks to the great help you and others have provided us.

If you have their counterfeit media, have you filed a counterfeit report (rather than just calling our piracy hotline)? Do you have a report number I can check with to see if you qualified for a free WGA Kit?

-phil

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 3:02 AM

All replies

• The only proper way to purchase an OEM version of Windows XP is to make sure you collectively receive the OEM installation CD, Product Key, COA, and licensing documentation.  It is illegal to sell only OEM Product Keys or COA's.  It would be best if you registered as a Microsoft System Builder and learn the in's and out's of OEM licensing.  Please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx.

The Microsoft System Builder web site also has dedicated newsgroups covering all aspects of Microsoft OEM licensing.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Darek,

You wrote, "I'm told by a post on MS forum that my COA doesn't have "OEM" on it.  So what?  It didn't need "OEM" on it when I bought it from a "Genuine Microsoft Products" reseller website in 2003.  It didn't need it when I reinstalled the OS twice in 2004."

OK, I'll bite.....if there is no "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" in black lettering below the product description "XP Professional", then exactly what is printed there......perhaps the name of a computer manufacturer?

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 9:32 PM
  •  

Darek:

I do believe we have lawsuits filed against Ion Tech (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/sep05/09-19PiracyEnfSept05PR.mspx) actually, thanks to the great help you and others have provided us.

If you have their counterfeit media, have you filed a counterfeit report (rather than just calling our piracy hotline)? Do you have a report number I can check with to see if you qualified for a free WGA Kit?

-phil

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 3:02 AM
  • I have a similar story Phil.  I bought from AG Solutions.  I submitted counterfeit report number 25AI-D1RP.  I bought what was supposed to be a 5 licence copy from a "Microsoft Reseller".  I checked the website http://catalog.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/QualifyInfo.aspx (currently down) and it sure looked like I qualified.  I provided scanned copies of the CD and product key provided me.  FeExed the originals, report, reciepts documenting 5 licence, and CD to the address.  Get a letter today saying it wasn't a "high-quality counterfeit".  It met every qualification on the web page.  Why was it rejected?

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:40 PM
  • Arsenic:

Its pretty hard to say. The cryptographic services lab has a subset of requirements that it checks every (yes, EVERY - its a larrrrrrrrge storage facility!) CD that comes in. Keep in mind, the legal team updates "high quality" metrics very often. Without actually seeing the report - it would be very hard for me to guess why it was or was not accepted.

I would suggest contacting the legal team here http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx with your specific inquiry though.

I know sending people back and forth isn't ideal. But I can't query the legal database and provide answers here in public.

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:25 AM