none
Do you have to have two or three years experience to get your MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification? (Not the Windows 7 one, Windows Server 2008) RRS feed

• Question

• As of right now, I am studying MCTS: Windows 7 and going to school for my AA in Information Technology - Technical support. I am almost done studying for the Windows 7 certification, I am on chapter 8 of 14 and have studied all of the videos. Once I get the MCTS: Windows 7 Certification, I plan on getting MCTS: Windows Server 2008. I am wondering, do you really have to have two or three years experience to get your MCITP: Enterprise Administrator? Money's not the problem right at this point, the problem is will I still get hired even when I have that?

I've applied to ten jobs in the past two months for an entry level tech position with no luck. The jobs that I am looking at only require an A+ certification. I figured once I have my AA and go onto my bachelors, I can get a part time job. If nothing else, I can continue doing certifications. Many people are telling me that some companies love certs and some do not. They also tell me that companies at this time do not want to invest a lot of time training someone and would rather see someone come in with the knowledge already and be able to do the job.

Am I right in all these aspects? Can someone please answer my question? Thanks for the time :)

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

•  I would work on server 2003 as well. Most companies will stick on 2003 for a really long time. I still have several accounts still on NT 4.0 and server 2000. It kinda rots to have to work on something that Microsoft no longer supports themselves, but we work in a real world and not Microsofts. Years of experience doing what? How can anyone have years of experience supporting Windows 7 or 2008? It has not been out long enough for any company to have had it rolled out in to production.

I think learning everything you can about 2003/2008 is really smart. Not so sure I would waste too much time with the windows 7 workstation stuff. Unless you want to support desktops. If you want to support desktops then study XP Pro more so than Windows 7 IMO.

Good luck

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Keep in mind that, for each job posted, there are hundreds, if not thousands of resume's that the company receives.  So...it's a numbers game, and a game of persistence and patience.  Don't forget the job market and economy kinhda sucks right now also.

That said, obtaining the MCTS in Win 7, and even the MCTS for Server 2008 Active Directory will be of benefit.  Certifications essentially are a verification of your knowledge. 

Realistically, you don't ahve to have 2-3 years experience for the MCITP (but it helps).  The key is that, as you study for each particular certification, you're woring with the OS hands on.  That does give you some usable experience.

As to the job search, again, keep in mind that it is a "numbers game" and that persistence will pay off.  Too many people give up to easily and quickly (which is partially why unemployment benefits have been extended - JMHO)

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:06 PM
    Answerer
  • I am wondering, do you really have to have two or three years experience to get your MCITP: Enterprise Administrator? Money's not the problem right at this point, the problem is will I still get hired even when I have that?

The following is my opinion only...

No, however I'd recommend against it when a person has no experience with working with it.  The MCITP: EA shows competence with the design of enterprise- wide solutions with 2008/2008 r2.  This isn't for entry level/tier 1 support personnel and the certification is not there to be used as a subsitute for experience.  Personally I would expect a prospective employee with no experience to be concentrating on client certifications, eg the MCITP for Vista, Windows 7 or the MCDST for XP.  Previous experience has taught me to be wary when inexperienced people have the higher level certifications, up to a point where unless the experience matches the certification - it'll be ignored.

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:37 AM

All replies

•  I would work on server 2003 as well. Most companies will stick on 2003 for a really long time. I still have several accounts still on NT 4.0 and server 2000. It kinda rots to have to work on something that Microsoft no longer supports themselves, but we work in a real world and not Microsofts. Years of experience doing what? How can anyone have years of experience supporting Windows 7 or 2008? It has not been out long enough for any company to have had it rolled out in to production.

I think learning everything you can about 2003/2008 is really smart. Not so sure I would waste too much time with the windows 7 workstation stuff. Unless you want to support desktops. If you want to support desktops then study XP Pro more so than Windows 7 IMO.

Good luck

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Keep in mind that, for each job posted, there are hundreds, if not thousands of resume's that the company receives.  So...it's a numbers game, and a game of persistence and patience.  Don't forget the job market and economy kinhda sucks right now also.

That said, obtaining the MCTS in Win 7, and even the MCTS for Server 2008 Active Directory will be of benefit.  Certifications essentially are a verification of your knowledge. 

Realistically, you don't ahve to have 2-3 years experience for the MCITP (but it helps).  The key is that, as you study for each particular certification, you're woring with the OS hands on.  That does give you some usable experience.

As to the job search, again, keep in mind that it is a "numbers game" and that persistence will pay off.  Too many people give up to easily and quickly (which is partially why unemployment benefits have been extended - JMHO)

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:06 PM
    Answerer
  • True dat.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I am wondering, do you really have to have two or three years experience to get your MCITP: Enterprise Administrator? Money's not the problem right at this point, the problem is will I still get hired even when I have that?

The following is my opinion only...

No, however I'd recommend against it when a person has no experience with working with it.  The MCITP: EA shows competence with the design of enterprise- wide solutions with 2008/2008 r2.  This isn't for entry level/tier 1 support personnel and the certification is not there to be used as a subsitute for experience.  Personally I would expect a prospective employee with no experience to be concentrating on client certifications, eg the MCITP for Vista, Windows 7 or the MCDST for XP.  Previous experience has taught me to be wary when inexperienced people have the higher level certifications, up to a point where unless the experience matches the certification - it'll be ignored.

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:37 AM