CRM 3.0 New Installation: Problem with Specifying Reporting Services Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm doing a new fresh CRM 3.0 install on my dev environment. For some reason, I always get stuck at the specifying reporting services server. I actually want to install a new RS server, but for some reason the button is always grayed out.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/kuroneko1313/vpcservsrs.jpg

So I quit this CRM installation process, installed a Reporting Server in this soon-to-be CRM server, and everything went well. I could open the new Report Manager and Report Server.

So I went back to the CRM installation process; this time I chose to use the exisiting RS server. However, during the real installation, I got a pop up message saying that the RS server failed to install. Here is the message from the log about the SR installation error:

14:26:13|  Error| System.Exception: Configuring SQL Server Reporting Services failed. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InternalCatalogException: An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization.Native.GetSid(String name)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization.Native.IsValidPrincipalName(String name)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authentication.WindowsAuthentication.IsValidPrincipalName(String principalName)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Security.XmlPolicyToAclStruct(String& xmlPolicy, SecurityScope scope, Hashtable relatedRoles, Hashtable& principalsAndRoles)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Security.CompileXmlPolicy(SecurityPolicy policy, Byte[]& realSecDesc, String& stringSecDesc)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Security.InnerSetPolicies(SecurityPolicy policy)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Security.SetCatalogItemPolicies(String catalogItemPath, ItemType catItemType, String xmlPolicy)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.SetPoliciesAction._SetPolicies(String item, String policy)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.SetPoliciesAction.SetPolicies(Guid batchId, String item, String policy)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService.SetPolicies(String Item, Policy[] Policies)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService.SetPolicies(String Item, Policy[] Policies)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ReportingServices.ReportingService.SetPolicies(String Item, Policy[] Policies)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.AddPolicy(String itemPath, Policy[] originalPolicies, String userGroup, String roleName, String roleDescription)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.AddRole(String userGroup, String roleName, String roleDescription)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.configureServer(Boolean validateOnly)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RSConfigAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Action.ExecuteAction(Action action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---, Error, AbortRetryIgnore, Option1

Is there something that keeps me from getting a new fresh install of RS server in my new CRM server? Is there a prerequisite or something that I miss?

Please clarify me on this one. I greatly appreciate your help!! Thank sin advanced!

Elizabeth K.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:44 PM

Answers

• I found what the problem was. Before installing CRM, you should install Reporting Server 2000 (not 2005) that comes with the CRM installation CD. After installing SRS 2000 this works fine for me; I just have to upgrade it to 2005 later on.

Hope this helps anyone who's having this problem!

-Elisabeth K.
    • Marked as answer by kurobenko Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by kurobenko Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:44 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:43 PM