Custom grid for iframe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
    I want to create a custom gridview having same functionallity as that of CRM grid.
    Have any one got the code for that..??
    Dare to promise
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could use something like DevExpress or Infragistics to create an asp.net page that looks like CRM. 

CRM uses their AppGrid and I haven't been able to find or figure out a way to replicate it or access it and use a different datasource (like SQL).  Everytime I have been presented with this problem I have either built a grid using Infragistics controls (which looks extremely similar to CRM) or used DevExpress w/XPO.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:45 PM
  • We developed a grid but we use it internally. http://www.powerobjects.com/img/powerview.png

We don’t share this code through, it’s part of our IP. I can tell you it was harder than we thought. You need to think thought all the actions on a page that you want to support. Retrieve, Sort, Refresh, Row Select (single and multiple) paging, toolbars, jumpbar, filter controls etc.

Look and feel is much easier then building the model.

Dean

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:34 PM
  • That is pretty cool.  I am definitely going to have to read up on what he has done.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Yes Dean you are right. The look and feel is Ok but firstly i want the same functionality as of CRm grid.
    Its bad news for me that you cant share the code :-(

any reference  that can help me??
    Dare to promise
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Our approach was to get a team in a conference room and define all the features we wanted. Then we create static HTML to render look and feel. We then added JavaScript to manage navigation and behavior. We then added data.

I had a team of 4 people design and develop. It’s used on our projects and in our CRM add ons like powerView.

I think the grid, filter controls and toolbar are pretty cool and I’m very proud of our team. I think the reading pane adds more value then anything we ever build. In the image you can see the reading pane on the side of the grid. This loads as a user selects rows or arrows up and down. The pane is configure by the organization to display what every attributes in the given entity they want. Basically we can add reading pane to any page and save time by not opening windows. This is an interface that CRM does not have, so we looked at other reading panes.

Biggest suggest – Don’t develop a solution with the grid. Develop a grid, and then use it on a solution. IN our case we started building powerView. Then we realized we needed a bunch of stuff (toolbar, filter, jump bar, headers, resize, sort etc). So we stepped back, developed common feature then built powerView very quickly.

HTH

Dean

http://www.powerobjects.com

Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Okay... here is a project on codeplex for doing it..

http://crmextweb.codeplex.com/

Definitely a good head start.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Great Job dean.
    Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
    Dare to promise
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Hi Blogger,
    Thanks for your link. I used that link but the problem is that I want it in VB.net(Dont knw much about vb.net).
    I tried to convert it vb.net . Solution compiled successfully also I can run it but the output is not same as that with c# code.
    I can see only menu items.
    The crmGrid_QueryDataSource is not being called from aspx page when i debug it.
    It directly goes to GridControl.ascx  => Protected Overloads Overrides Sub OnPreRender method.
    The data is not binding withcrm grid.

I need working vb.net code. I'm trying from last 4 days but in vain.

Can anyone help me out with  this....

Dare to promise
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:38 AM