Windows Home Server as a Domain Controller?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I was testing out Windows Home Server and I was testing one part for fun to see if Windows Home Server can become a Windows Domain Controller.  I think that the option shouldn't be on there.  You're not running it in a business side.  I think that should be taken out of Home Server.

Jacob Wease

Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:04 AM

Answers

• ... and after a week the server licencing will kick in and start shutting it down every hour.

However, it co-exists fine with a domain, but leave WHS in its (default) workgroup, don't use the old short-form of the domain name. My users have the same names and passwords as for the domain.

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:08 PM
  • From the EULA:

d. Functionality Limitations.

· Active Directory - You may not use the server
    software as a domain controller or otherwise make
    use of DCPromo.exe. You also may not join the
    server software to any Active Directory domain.

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:44 PM

All replies

• You can't run it as a domain controller, that functionality is not included in WHS.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:39 AM
  •  bcampbel wrote:
    You can't run it as a domain controller, that functionality is not included in WHS.

I note that the dcpromo command is available. I have no intention of going all the way through the Active Directory Installation Wizard, as I doubt that I will like the results if it goes awry. But that is where I would start in order to create a new Active Directory Tree. If Active directory truly is not available, then neither should dcpromo.exe be. This has been bugged on Connect.

--
    Ken
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:38 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
     bcampbel wrote:
    You can't run it as a domain controller, that functionality is not included in WHS.

I note that the dcpromo command is available. I have no intention of going all the way through the Active Directory Installation Wizard, as I doubt that I will like the results if it goes awry. But that is where I would start in order to create a new Active Directory Tree. If Active directory truly is not available, then neither should dcpromo.exe be. This has been bugged on Connect.

--
    Ken

It would be nice if it worked, we then can use it to get our users a more friendly way of get there files and also connect to there PC at work.

A little like SBS 2K3 works.

Hopfully something that will apear in some later release from MS...

Andyman

Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:27 AM
  • I am going to try the dcpromo command.  The active directory function is necessary for me to operate my home network.  I have a large home network since my HTPC's are all networked and store all of the tv programs on one machine. 

I am also very interested in the active directory since I have children and I like to have the control to block certain drives from their access.  It might be overkill but I guess I am just a computer geek.

Let me know if anyone has any success.  I will post my trials.

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:13 AM
  • I can save you a bit of time ... I joined my WHS to my home office lab domain (Server 2k3) Remote desktop worked fine, the WHS web interface however refused to authenticate any account reguardless of its group or location.

Domain Users Group = Failed.

WHS (interface created) Users Group = Failed.

WHS (Comp Mgmt created) Users Group = Failed.

...It just don't like that as all accounts gave the same "Admin Accounts Not Allowed to Login Here" error.

It did however go back to working just fine, after being put back into its workgroup.

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:36 AM
  • well i've just been mucking about with WHS in vmware. i installed the dhcp and dns services manually then i ran dcpromo and upgraded my WHS server to a domain controller. and guess what.... it's working. i kid you not. i've even added a virtual xp pro client to the domain. backup/restore still works. the console still works. the only issue was a permissions issue when trying to access the webservice through a browser. but a very descriptive error message allowed me to fix that (i need to add "network service" with write permissions to a certain .net 2 folder in the windows directory). i'm actually amazed everything still works. it really does. here's a screenshot of my 2 virtual machines.....

i'm sure this will functionality will be removed in the final version. i noticed in add/remove windows components that "windows deployment services" is there. i think i'll try that next......

Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Hello there,

I installed WHS on a VirtualPC to evaluate it (was thinking about ordering an HP475 WHS) and I also started to mess about in the console... Then I typed DCPROMO to see what would happen and... I ended-up googling for it and here I am Smile

I think it is kinda cool for a power user to be able to DCPROMO their server and make a domain if they wish to do so. However, I was wondering if there would be any "licensing implications" for doing so... Any thoughts?

Also, if I had to guess, I was thought Microsoft would re-invest in that whole idea of CASTLE networking (which was dropped from Vista) with WHS.

Cheers,
    P.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 1:45 PM
  • From the EULA:

d. Functionality Limitations.

· Active Directory - You may not use the server
    software as a domain controller or otherwise make
    use of DCPromo.exe. You also may not join the
    server software to any Active Directory domain.

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:44 PM
  • ... and after a week the server licencing will kick in and start shutting it down every hour.

However, it co-exists fine with a domain, but leave WHS in its (default) workgroup, don't use the old short-form of the domain name. My users have the same names and passwords as for the domain.

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:08 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

... and after a week the server licencing will kick in and start shutting it down every hour.

Ouch! Does it actually SHUTS DOWN!? Scarry... What is the event id or error message?
    Monday, December 31, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  PMDCI wrote:
    Ouch! Does it actually SHUTS DOWN!?

Yes.  As previously stated, WHS cannot be a DC nor can it be part of a domain.

PMDCI wrote:
    Scarry... What is the event id or error message?

Probably something like "Hey, you can't do that!  This is Windows Home Server!!!"  Wink

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  PMDCI wrote:
    What is the event id or error message?
    You'll see the errors listed in this thread.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Windows Home Server cannot be a Domain Controller nor it cannot be part of a domain? That's so stupid! I totally disagree with Jacob Wease when he says that the Windows Domain Controller feature should be taken out of Windows Home Server. The LEAST it could have is the feature to Join the Domain.

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:17 AM
  • Dude you don't think an option should be there for a domain controller? OR other functionality that could allow roaming users... come on man either

(A) This post is an M$ insider troll post to help justify missing functionality or
    (B) Your an idiot...

I prescribe to the the first option as no one in their right mind would make such a comment!!

Solid-State
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Dude you don't think an option should be there for a domain controller? OR other functionality that could allow roaming users... come on man either

(A) This post is an M$ insider troll post to help justify missing functionality or
    (B) Your an idiot...

I prescribe to the the first option as no one in their right mind would make such a comment!!

Solid-State

No. If you want a DC, buy 2003/2008. Domains are not used by the target audience of this product.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Although you are not allowed to use it as a DC, can you use it for DNS and DHCP?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:21 PM
  • I suggest you give the EULA a read. It lays out what you can and can't do in fairly clear terms...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Can you describe the co-existence?  If I install the Home Server Connector on my clients will that have any negative effect on the Active Directory relationship at the client or server level? It sounds like you have to manually align the username and password in the workgroup and AD security databases. Can you confirm and elaborate?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:34 PM
  • It won't affect the AD relationship between clients and DC. My company supplied laptop backs up to my server every night, with no ill effects.

Your options for user name and password are to manually align them, as you say, or (what I do) use a separate ID that you enter when you need to access your server's shares. Since your domain-joined computer is presumably running a business version of Windows, you can even save the credentials so you don't have to re-enter them later.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:57 PM