Non-Genuine copy of windows-Need help!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I got a message about my copy of windows is not genuine. Then when I validate it, it said it wasn't genuine! Below is my diagnostic report:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-647DF-WXH72-QKY7J
    Windows Product Key Hash: fbabZc/mx9XFjAkjns5Ijite9lE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23606
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 7TQD8C8
    ID: 5f59c5b4-83a2-4525-8b36-0541a47a26db
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 2044 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>5f59c5b4-83a2-4525-8b36-0541a47a26db</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QKY7J</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23606</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-746137067-1580436667-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>4.51 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>19991124000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2A7232E701840049</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57146</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:03 PM

Answers

•  

A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:52 PM
  • Arcade,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the Product Key that is reported by the utility, "647DF-WXH72-QKY7J" you will see that over a dozen other posters have reported also using that Blocked Key.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you would like a genuine copy or a refund.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  We would expect yours to have "Dell" on it.

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:51 AM
  • Arcade,

At this point, it seems that in order to run a genuine installation of Windows, you are going to have to buy it in some form.

Purchase a systembuilder/OEM license for XP at a trusted local or online store;

Or, see Carey's post about clicking on the icon to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer;

Or, visit a local store and purchase a retail license for XP.  If you have a full W98 CD handy, you can purchase the least expensive edion of XP, XP Home retail upgrade and use the W98 CD as the required qualifying media.

And don't forget, your Office installation is nongenuine, that should be addressed, too.

Monday, July 24, 2006 1:02 AM
  • I don't quite understand the last post about buying a least expensive edition of xp and that sort of stuff. Can you please explain to me more clearly about this beacause it seems to be a great idea.

Also, if I buy a copy of windows and re-install it, will it erase everything on my computer? And I also heard that later in the year, all users must have genuine windows. Is this true?

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:12 PM
  • Arcaderat100,

To answer your questions, what Dan is saying is that you can buy a full installation of Windows or you can buy an Ugrade installation of Windows. Upgrade meaning that you have an onlder version (win 3.1, win95, win98, winME, Win2k) you can install this upgrade version which happens to be MUCH cheaper then the full install.

If you do a "repair install" of windows, no it will not erase everything on your computer.

A COA is a certificate of authenticity which is basically a sticker that has your info and KEY on it. If a systembuilder (Dell, Gateway, etc) made the comptuer that is in question, then the COA will be on the bottom, side or behind the comptuer. If your copy of Windows was bought at a store, it would be on te manual, or on the casing.

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:25 PM
  • I saw in another post that if you don't have genuine windows, you won't be able to log in to windows. Is this true?

-Thanks 

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:40 PM
  • Arcaderat100,

No, that is not true at all. There will be a reminder in your system tray letting you know that you are non-genuine and giving you suggestions to get that taken care of.

Monday, July 24, 2006 8:09 PM

All replies

•  

A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:52 PM
  • Arcade,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the Product Key that is reported by the utility, "647DF-WXH72-QKY7J" you will see that over a dozen other posters have reported also using that Blocked Key.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you would like a genuine copy or a refund.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  We would expect yours to have "Dell" on it.

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:51 AM
  • My computer was given to me by my friend. He didn't give me any manuals of any computer softwares. My computer doesn't have a COA anywhere. Is there anything else I can do to convert my windows to genuine?

Monday, July 24, 2006 12:43 AM
  • Arcade,

At this point, it seems that in order to run a genuine installation of Windows, you are going to have to buy it in some form.

Purchase a systembuilder/OEM license for XP at a trusted local or online store;

Or, see Carey's post about clicking on the icon to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer;

Or, visit a local store and purchase a retail license for XP.  If you have a full W98 CD handy, you can purchase the least expensive edion of XP, XP Home retail upgrade and use the W98 CD as the required qualifying media.

And don't forget, your Office installation is nongenuine, that should be addressed, too.

Monday, July 24, 2006 1:02 AM
  • I don't quite understand the last post about buying a least expensive edition of xp and that sort of stuff. Can you please explain to me more clearly about this beacause it seems to be a great idea.

Also, if I buy a copy of windows and re-install it, will it erase everything on my computer? And I also heard that later in the year, all users must have genuine windows. Is this true?

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:12 PM
  • Arcaderat100,

To answer your questions, what Dan is saying is that you can buy a full installation of Windows or you can buy an Ugrade installation of Windows. Upgrade meaning that you have an onlder version (win 3.1, win95, win98, winME, Win2k) you can install this upgrade version which happens to be MUCH cheaper then the full install.

If you do a "repair install" of windows, no it will not erase everything on your computer.

A COA is a certificate of authenticity which is basically a sticker that has your info and KEY on it. If a systembuilder (Dell, Gateway, etc) made the comptuer that is in question, then the COA will be on the bottom, side or behind the comptuer. If your copy of Windows was bought at a store, it would be on te manual, or on the casing.

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:25 PM
  • I saw in another post that if you don't have genuine windows, you won't be able to log in to windows. Is this true?

-Thanks 

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:40 PM
  • Arcaderat100,

No, that is not true at all. There will be a reminder in your system tray letting you know that you are non-genuine and giving you suggestions to get that taken care of.

Monday, July 24, 2006 8:09 PM