Vista home premium key already in use RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am currently trying to activate my windows vista home premium on a gateway laptop.  I am currently opperating in reduced functionality mode.  I have tried activating over the phone and have had no luck, when it asked they asked me to change my product key I could not because it said my product key was invalid.  I am aware that Vista comes with a default product key for 30 days after which you must enter a valid product key.  My problem is though is that when I try to change the product key to the valid one on the bottom of the case I am unable to change it thus I believe that when I try to activate by phone it only sees the now invalid default product key and gives me the installation ID for this default product key.  If I could just get the product key to register as my good product key on the bottom of the laptop I do believe that then I could get an installation ID for this valid product key and then activate over the phone. 
    I did reinstall Vista becuase the computer crashed and the recovery cd I had from gateway is scratched so I used a vista home premium oem edition disk I bought at an e-tailer.  I do know the disk is good though becuase I have used it in the past to install vista on a desktop.  Could that be causing my problem?
    I have tried numerous steps but now where I am in reduced functionality mode I am pretty limited as to what I can do.  I am wiling to try anything again.  I do know that when I was trying to activate while I had full ability the reason that my product key was invalid was becuase it said my key was already in use.
    Thank you in advance for all your help, sjonesy2.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:11 PM

Answers