none
Install Chrome remotely through Powershell. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, i'm trying to install chrome remotely through Powershell but nothing shows on the end users computer. I am using "Enter-PSSession -ComputerName XXXXXXXX" to connect to the remote machine and then I tried running "PS C:\> start-process -FilePath "msiexec.exe" -ArgumentList "/q /i .\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi" to execute the file silently but nothing happens.

Can someone help me with what is wrong?

My machines have got UAC turned on, but my understanding is that as long as the powershell session is run as admin on my machine it should work on the remote machines...

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, October 27, 2014 10:03 PM This is not support forum for third party software
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:34 PM

All replies

• You cannot install a file from a remote  source remotely.

The following is also meaningless.  It must refer to a location on the remote system.

.\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi

You must supply a full path to a local source such as:

c:\temp\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:43 PM
  • The file is on C drive on the remote system, shouldn't that work? Or should i have "\\XXXXXXXXX\C$\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi"

Oh just saw the rest of your post.. too early for me. I'll try that now.

• Edited by sevengs Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:05 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:05 AM
  • The file is on C drive on the remote system, shouldn't that work? Or should i have "\\XXXXXXXXX\C$\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi"

Oh just saw the rest of your post.. too early for me. I'll try that now.

You cannot use a UNC path it must be a FULL local path.

c:\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi

You cannot use a relative path as the current folder is NOT C:\

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:15 AM
  • I noticed the file was blocked so unblocked it on the remote test machine (i'll cross that bridge later) and I can see that MSIEXEC is a running process but nothing installs.

I am just trying FileZilla as a test because my test machine already has chrome. 

PS C:\Users\username\Documents> start-process -FilePath "msiexec.exe" -ArgumentList "C:\_ServiceDesk\
    fileZilla_3.5.3_win32-setup.exe /S"

That is the right switch for filezilla (pulled it from the BAT that I use to install locally) so how can I work out what is causing it to hang? Is there a log somewhere or is there something else obvious that I am missing?

Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:23 AM
  • You cannot use MSI to install a "setup.exe" file.  They are not compatible.

I recommend contacting the vendor for instructions on how to install their software.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:27 AM
  • Oh dear God.. I really am losing it this morning!!! I grabbed the wrong file and din't even notice when I typed it twice!

Sorry for wasting your time.

Let me get a red bull into me and get my act together and try again..

Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:41 AM
  • Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:28 AM