Client cannot connect to WHS (probably caused by KB 981089) RRS feed

• Question

• WHS and its' client communicating just fine until very recently. Now, all my client computers cannot connect. Error log on one client states:

Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 158793728, but partner computer 9a132cda-d7cf-40b7-8851-ecdbac9a5207 uses protocol version 225181696. A connection cannot be established.

I uninstalled the Client Connector on one client and then attempted to reinstall via http://servername:55000

This went fine until attempting to configure backups which it could not do. Error log showed the above message. The above error also showed up in all my other previous attempts.

This is a headless server and no client can currently connect using the normal client software. Hopefully someone can help me on this.

Jim Parsells

Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:41 AM

Answers

• Please try:

1. logon to your server using remote desktop; on client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe and Hit Enter. Computername is name or IP address of your server, Username is Administrator, password is your WHS console password.

2. Open explorer window, browse to folder C:\WHS. Normally a copy of the most recent Connector installer should be present there (Connector installer and two msi files, the msi files normally have a date a few days prior to the last WHS update.

3.You can copy these files to a client and install or alternatively copy these files to the \Software\Home Server Connector Software folder of your server (store the current files in that location in a temp folder first), then try installing again from http://yourservername:55000

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    • Marked as answer by HardWay Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:50 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:37 AM

All replies

• Please try:

1. logon to your server using remote desktop; on client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe and Hit Enter. Computername is name or IP address of your server, Username is Administrator, password is your WHS console password.

2. Open explorer window, browse to folder C:\WHS. Normally a copy of the most recent Connector installer should be present there (Connector installer and two msi files, the msi files normally have a date a few days prior to the last WHS update.

3.You can copy these files to a client and install or alternatively copy these files to the \Software\Home Server Connector Software folder of your server (store the current files in that location in a temp folder first), then try installing again from http://yourservername:55000

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    • Marked as answer by HardWay Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:50 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Thank you. That did it. The keys for me were:

1. Somehow I had never learned of mstsc.exe -- don't know how I missed that, but mostly my WHS box just runs so I never had to look before.

2. I would never guessed that the Server Connector install packages were hiding in C:\WHS rather than being properly put in \Software\Home Server Connector Software folder.

I copied the files to \Software\... (after saving the old ones to an "OldVersions" folder). I also copied the files to my client and installed from there. Worked completely.

I also set the Security on C:\Windows\Temp as suggested in the thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/80798701-3299-4967-8112-430511624a4c which may have helped in the process, though I'm pretty sure that the real problem was addressed in your Answer.

The suggestion in the cited thread was to "Add the user IIS_WPG to the Home Server WINDOWS\TEMP folder security and set to Full Control." Looking at other threads, it seems that this suggestion is ALSO a required part of the fix. My problem was connectivity, but I expect that if I hadn't ALSO fixed the Security on C:\Windows\Temp, I would still be having problems.

Thanks again.

Jim Parsells

Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I have been attempting to figure this issue out for a few days now and finally seem to have a solution(s).

Although some of you have experienced flawless updating and no interruption of service, there have been many who are completely shut out of the backup service (which in my case is the #1 reason for using WHS in my home). After updating the Connector software, uninstalling the connector - reboot and reinstall connector software, installing via port 55000, installing via share folder, etc., etc., etc., what seems to have done the trick has everything to do with permissions on the c:\Windows\Temp folder on WHS.

Yes, I added the IIS_WPG group and provided full access, but that did not do the trick. In addition to the IIS_WPG permissions I also granted Read and Write access to the Network Service group (which existed in the folder but only had special permissions granted).

After changing this permission and rebooting the server, reinstalling the Connector, my manual backup appears to be running smoothly (over 76% as I write this). If this goes smoothly, I will wait a couple days to ensure that the overnight backups are continuing to operate as expected.

"knock on wood" this can help anyone else who may be experiencing these issues.

UPDATE:

This solution worked one of the machines.  However, I cannot get the other machines to process a manual backup.  Installing the software is not a problem and goes on without a hitch.  The even viewer still errors the protocol mismatch issue, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The problem is when the backup process hits "Sending data to server.".  The process hangs (I have left it over night with no progress).  

I have updated all network cards with the latest drivers and still have "no love".  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by PatriotMB Friday, March 4, 2011 5:31 PM update
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:44 PM
  • I have tried to follow all the recommendations is this thread, as well as in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/80798701-3299-4967-8112-430511624a4c.

I have uninstalled the kb981089 update, uninstalled the connector, started the connector install program from the server and the client. I get as far as the error window "This operation could not be completed at this time". And my client W7 64 Home premium freezes.

I cannot add the IIS_WPG group. What I do is the following:

RDC into WHS

Locate C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Right click and select Properties, then Security

Click Add... get Select Users or Groups

Preselected choices are: Object Types - Users, Groups or Built-in security principals and Locations "servername"

Enter IIS_WPG in the text box, click Check Names

I get: Name Not Found panel. "An object names "IIS_WPG" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you have typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection."

I have followed the advice to grant Read and Write access to the Network Service Group, but cannot create the  IIS_WPG group.

What to do?

Thank you.

Friday, March 4, 2011 5:18 PM
  • No one?

Please, I am stuck here. Cannot understand the response "IIS_WPG cannot be found". I am trying to add it. What is going on?

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:23 PM
  • I am not sure that I can be helpful since I don't actually know what you have done so far or what your environment is. That being said let me mention a few things. If it is all obvious to you or stuff you really have already tried, sorry.

The connector software and the software on the machine must be at the same level. The new version of the connector will not work with kb981089 uninstalled. The old connector will not work with the server if kb981089 is installed.

Certain people have reported that on certain HP servers the username IIS_WPG doesn't exist - instead use IUSR_HPSTORAGE.

Personly, I would reinstall kb981089 and look at the logs from that install - there may be a clue there - or it might actually install correctly. One sign of a correct install is that the new server connector can be found in" \\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software"

Find and use the newest version of the connector software - copy the whole directory to your client machine and run the installer there.

Hope this helps

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:11 AM
  • Thank you HardWay, but the same outcome as before.

After the installtionof the update, I checked EventViewer and I had one error in the application group: .Net Runtime 2.0 Error, event ID 5000.  I do not know how serious this is in this respect.

Otherwise all seems normal. The update shows in the Add or Remove Programs. I checked the dates in both C:/WHS/ on the server and \\Servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software. They match and have the following dates>

setup.exe                             2009.10.29

WHSConnectorInstall             2009.10.29

WHSConnector.msi                2011.01.10

WHSConnector?x64.msi         2011.01.10

Are these the most recent modules?

I run a DIY server and no IUSR_HPSTORAGE was found either. Do I do things wrong when trying to add the IIS_WPG module? This appears to have helpet a number of people  here.

Finn   

Update: Running the Connector Troubleshooter I get a handful of possible errors - all related to IIS and Firewall. I can not find any trace of IIS in my installation and I start wondering why this is. I can install it via Add Windows components as a part of Application Server, it seems. This is way ouside my comfort zone. I am asked to "Insert Service Pack 2 CD-ROM". My CD-ROM says nothing about SP other than PP1. I also have a X-files installation CD-ROM.

What to do? Do I need IIS? Should I press forward with the installation?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:04 PM
  • If you can access your whs, check if the local group has no access by default, and fix? If you can figure out how to do this with no access, please let me know!!!

I am unable to access my AcerWHS server, because it will not talk to me. The Acer server does not have a video card, so I must use WHSconnector or mstsc. This happened before, but eventually corrected itself, and whs was running IE6 - I think it had restored to a old backup automatically . Looking at whs update, I noted that it wanted to install IE8 for Server2003, and that the default was to deny access from the local group! At this time, I was able to update whs on all computer, run backup again, and all was ok

I believe that this version of IE8 has been installed (maybe I was doing it via mstsc and bypassed something?). Now whs looks ok (all drive lights are blue, the network light is blue,(the service light is red), but whs does not show on my DLink server (I think it is there, but hidden to all!). If you can access your whs, check if the local group has no access by default, and fix? If you can figure out how to do this with no access, please let me know!!!

bob strachan
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:50 PM