Losing several gigs of disk space with every tune-up RRS feed

• Question

• Is this supposed to be happening? I just bought a new laptop and after the first tune-up I went from having 148 GB on my C Drive to 138. Then after having done my second tune-up I went to 132 GB.

I haven't downloaded or transfered any files in between these drastic changes, so I'm pretty sure it's the tune-up that is causing this to happen. I've even tried to use the Disk Cleanup option, but it doesn't do anything about the vast sums of memory that have suddenly been eaten up. I have no idea where these of huge hidden files of data are being stored, either, or how to get my memory back.

If someone could shed some light on this issue, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Friday, August 31, 2007 12:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are using Vista this is fairly normal and not related to One Care. Vista uses a large amount of disc space for system restore and for shadow copies. To limit the amount of disc space allocated to system restore and shadow copies, open a command window by right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator". Copy and paste this line:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

perss enter. This will limit the space used to 2 gb but you can set the maxsize value to any number although I wouldn't go any smaller than 2 gb. Doing this will not reclaim all of the additional used disc space as there other reasons for the disc space usage which would be better addressed in the Vista forums - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance&lang=en&cr=US&r=9d83fc3a-b8e6-4221-8708-0ec7bec9b3f7

Friday, August 31, 2007 2:06 PM
  • I just got 15 gigs back after running that command. Amazing!
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 7:40 AM
  • Wow, thank you soo much, this just saved me around 65GB, I was wondering where all those GIGs were going...... Thank you again
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:36 PM