Red X on internet network connection RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just upgraded to 2.0 with Vista.  Occasionally I will have a red X on my network icon in the notification area even though I am fully connected to the internet and local network.  Before 2.0, it meant I was not connected, now it means nothing!  Anyone else having this problem?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:46 PM

Answers

• OK Steve,

Connection, both wired and wireless, but this only concerns the wired Vista Ultimate, SKU Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16386", HP Model System Model RC658AA-ABA a1630n, Vista Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000.  The wireless laptop is XP and there doesn't seem to be any problem with that one.

Occasionally = 2 or 3 times in as many days since I upgraded.  Sometimes after hibernation and/or screensaver.  Sometimes, just because.  To reiterate, never before the upgrade.

I can live with the annoyance.  What really annoys me is OneCare deciding that we need pop-up blocker (like it or not) on IE7.  I think the blocker is more annoying than the pop-ups.  LOL.  But, that's another issue that we can't do anything about.  However, I've been thinking about hacking through the registry to find a solution to that.

Boyd

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:17 AM

All replies

• I don't think this is a OneCare issue, but I won't rule it out. Is this a wired or wireless connection. If you open the Network and Sharing Center, does it show the correct status of your connection? Do you have multiple network connections listed?

I'm moving this thread to the firewall topic.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Stephen.  It IS a OneCare issue!  The icon has never done this before and when it did it before OneCare, it was correct - no connection.  This started when I did a clean install upgrade to OneCare 2.0.

In answer to your question, yes, it showed the correct status - connected and all is well, lol, except for the red X on the network icon.  I'm a tech, of sorts, A+, MCP, MCTS, and I just can't figure this out.  So, in summation, I have to assume it was the upgrade from OneCare 1.6 to 2.0!

Boyd

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:32 PM
  • I'll buy your analysis and observation.  However, I'm stumped on why it happened, too. I've never heard of it happening with OneCare.

Since everything works fine, but just looks annoying, I'll leave this thread open in hopes that we can figure it out or get more similar reports.

So, tell me more about your connection -

wired, wireless?

More than one active?

And I realize I assumed Vista. Is it Vista or XP? And what SKU?

How often is "occasionally?"

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:29 AM
  • OK Steve,

Connection, both wired and wireless, but this only concerns the wired Vista Ultimate, SKU Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16386", HP Model System Model RC658AA-ABA a1630n, Vista Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000.  The wireless laptop is XP and there doesn't seem to be any problem with that one.

Occasionally = 2 or 3 times in as many days since I upgraded.  Sometimes after hibernation and/or screensaver.  Sometimes, just because.  To reiterate, never before the upgrade.

I can live with the annoyance.  What really annoys me is OneCare deciding that we need pop-up blocker (like it or not) on IE7.  I think the blocker is more annoying than the pop-ups.  LOL.  But, that's another issue that we can't do anything about.  However, I've been thinking about hacking through the registry to find a solution to that.

Boyd

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:17 AM
  • Hi!

Go to:  www.techsupportforum.com/.../272175-fix-red-x-network-connection.html  Follow their directions.  It's really easy, and it fixed the red x problem.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:57 AM