Connector problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have searched and read all of the connector problems here, but none have helped me.

I have a new installed WHS and the initiall installation of the connector works without problems on my 2 Vista and 1 XP machine.
    After all the upgrades of the server is done and I get the message that the Connector needs to upgrade.

The server have the following version.
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

But it does not matter how many times I upgrade it loops all the time.

! Configuring Copmuter backup
    To proceed, you must upgrade this computer with a newer version
    (version no 6.0.1800.0) of the Windows Home Server Connector software.
    To upgrade this computer click Next.

As I said I have tested all suggestions on this site and thats why I post this. Someone might have another idéa.
    ( Inoticed that if the logon account on the Vista not were on the WHS I could not install the connector at all, after I created a account I managed to install the connector but it stills want to upgrade all time)

I have deleted the files in c:\program files\windows home server
    I have tested to install from webpage as a suggestion from the toolkit connector troubleshooter.
    deleted the files again.
    Installed from the desktop, (files copied from the software share.)

I can log on the console without problems
    I can ping the server without problems, both name and IP.
    The server have a static IP adress.
    I have added the IP in the host file on the Vista machines.

Now I´m stuck.....
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• Well the dates Im talking about are the files in the Software share, they did not change even after 2 reinstallations.
    Yesterday I did a complete installation and wiped the whole server, loosing all my files, and now finally the dates have changed on the 2 connector.msi files in the Software share.
    I sincerelly hope that this is not what will be neccessary every time an update to the connector files comes.
    In that case the whole WHS idéa is lost.
    So tonight I will check if an upgrade on my PCs will go better.

• Marked as answer by ronake Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:49 AM

All replies

• What are the dates of the files in the software share?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:01 PM
  • All files are dated 2008-07-13 03:52.

I have tested to replace them with those from C:\redistr but with same result.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:56 PM
  • ronake said:

All files are dated 2008-07-13 03:52.

I have tested to replace them with those from C:\redistr but with same result.

WHSConnector.msi (both 32 and 64 bit versions) should be dated 1/19/2009.  Did you ever move your connector software share (the default path is \\server\software\home server connector software, replace "server" with the name of your server)?  If you renamed/moved/deleted that folder, that would explain why your files aren't being updated (it must be left as is in order for files to be updated).  If you did modify it, follow Ken's FAQ post for details on how to fix it.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Nope I have not moved that folder.
    How can I get those files again?

Edit: I have checked that FAQ and doublechecked the files in C:\WHS aswell.
    They have the same dates as in the Software share.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:50 PM
  • ronake said:

Nope I have not moved that folder.
    How can I get those files again?

Edit: I have checked that FAQ and doublechecked the files in C:\WHS aswell.
    They have the same dates as in the Software share.

The only way is to uninstall and reinstall the updates.  Logon to the server desktop and uninstall the following updates in the following order through Add/Remove Programs (one at a time, then reboot between each one):

KB961030
    KB958926
    KB957825
    KB950193

This will get you back to Power Pack 1.  (Hopefully that's far enough as uninstalling PP1 is not a good idea due to the data corruption bug that existed before it.)  Then, using the WHS Console, click Update Now and keep doing that (and rebooting) until there are no new updates available.  At that point, you should have the latest Connector software.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I have followed you advice now, and now the dates on all files are
    2008-07-12 19:52

This is incredible. Now the dates are older than before!
    Same dates in C:\WHS and C:\Redist as the Software folder.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:57 AM
  • ronake said:

I have followed you advice now, and now the dates on all files are
    2008-07-12 19:52

This is incredible. Now the dates are older than before!
    Same dates in C:\WHS and C:\Redist as the Software folder.

Actually, that is the same date/time, just a different time zone (you might want to verify your time zone on both client and server is correct).  You could check the security permissions on both C:\WHS as well as \\server\software\home server connector software and see if there is something wrong with them (or post them here).  Otherwise, you are probably looking at a Server Reinstallation.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Yes you were ríght, the time zone changed when I uninstalled and installed those updates.

I will do a reinstall to see if it will be better, but I doubt it, cause this was my second installation already.
    The first was with a 120day evelution version and I had the same problems.
    I then bouhgt the newest version with PP1 included and I got this again.......
    So I dont think it will work.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:53 PM
  • ronake said:

Yes you were ríght, the time zone changed when I uninstalled and installed those updates.

I will do a reinstall to see if it will be better, but I doubt it, cause this was my second installation already.
    The first was with a 120day evelution version and I had the same problems.
    I then bouhgt the newest version with PP1 included and I got this again.......
    So I dont think it will work.

Just to be sure, once you do your Server Reinstallation, I would recommend you not install any add-ins/apps for a few days until you have installed all updates and make sure the server is working as designed.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Now I have reinstalled my server again.
    Before I started I renamed the Home Server Connector Software folder to make sure it was created during the installation.

And yes it was created, and after the initiall installation the dates were 2008-07-13 03:52 on all files.

After all the upgrades were finished the file dates did not change att all.

This is very frustrating, should it be so complicated to get this right?

I dont want to to a complete wipe out of the discs since I have a lot of information there that I dont want to loose.
    But I dont know what else to test.
    Anyone got a better idéa?
    Monday, March 16, 2009 11:56 AM
  • ronake said:

Now I have reinstalled my server again.
    Before I started I renamed the Home Server Connector Software folder to make sure it was created during the installation.

And yes it was created, and after the initiall installation the dates were 2008-07-13 03:52 on all files.

Don't go by the dates on the files. These are misleading. Not all files are updated when Windows Update runs.
    What are the version numbers in the Windows Home Server Console?
    Also, you may have to run Windows Update via the Windows Home Server console several times. It does not install all updates at once.

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I just went though a whole bunch of connector problems. In the process of trying to get the connector software to work I managed to lose connectivity to the internet and between computers. In short, my network was toast.

I shut everything off including the cable modem and router. Restarted the cable modem,waited a minute, restarted the router, waited a minute then restarted a workstation. I had internet again. Restarted my WHS and the little house on the workstation turns green. Continued adding computers until I only had my 2 problem computers left.

The first problem computer would not connect when booting from the recovery CD (I was trying to restore a crashed computer). Installed the recovery CD and BINGO it worked again, system restored.

Only one more computer to go, fired up the browser and issued the //SERVER:55000 command and it connected and installed the connector software. I'm back in business.

So I believe the problem was a disconnect between the modem and router and the complete reboot/reset cured the problem. 
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Monday, March 16, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Well the dates Im talking about are the files in the Software share, they did not change even after 2 reinstallations.
    Yesterday I did a complete installation and wiped the whole server, loosing all my files, and now finally the dates have changed on the 2 connector.msi files in the Software share.
    I sincerelly hope that this is not what will be neccessary every time an update to the connector files comes.
    In that case the whole WHS idéa is lost.
    So tonight I will check if an upgrade on my PCs will go better.

• Marked as answer by ronake Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Upgraded the connectors on my PCs and now it worked.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:00 AM