Federated Contact - Phone Information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

My organisation federates with another company. As soon as my organisation upgraded the clients and servers to OCS 2007 the user's at the other company we federate with cannot see my user's mobile phone number when they hit properties. All they see is their desk number. I have tried playing around with Change level of access, however it doesn't appear to be making a difference.

The other company uses LCS 2005 back end and 2005 client

My company uses OCS 2007 back end and 2007 client

Any ideas?

Thanks

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:00 AM

All replies

• I do not know if this is related to your problem or not.  But I just opened a problem with Microsoft on users on OCS 2007 cannot see phone information for internal users in my company.  This apparently is a know bug that Microsoft is working on.  They had me test the problem by creating a new account and adding it to OCS 2007 server and put some phone numbers in AD, but do not LOG IN to the new account.  THen from another account go look at the account and see if you see the phone numbers.  You should see them.  THen log in to the new account and once you login to it the phone numbers will not be displayed by clicking on the phone icon on the right.   Internal phone numbers should show by default whether they are Company, Personal or Team access.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Another possible reasons is that if the phone numbers stored in AD are not either already in E.164 format, or properly normalized into that format, then by design the OC 2.0 (2007) client will NOT display them.  Also, this is hard-coded and overrides any Access Level settings. It's documented in the OC 2007 client deployment white paper as well.

If you are using EV then you should have E.164 format used throughout, but if you are working with a RCC deployment, then you may want to look at normalizing those numbers into E.164 and then adjusting the phone system's dialing rules to compensate.

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Is the Client Deployment white paper the same as the Communicator_2007_Deployment_Guide.doc.  If so I read all through the guide and did not see anything related to normalization and AD.  Could you provide the links, Jeff? Thanks.

We have normalized our AD phone numbers using the sample text file and that has fixed the problem.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:08 PM
  • The EP document (Communicator_2007_Enhanced_Presence_Model_White Paper) is what I was referring to. There is a note under Table 2 that states any AD-populated phone numbers will appear in OC regardless of Access Levels.  I'm not sure of the E.164 requirement is documented clearly in any of the documentation, though.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Please note one more thing.

If the users in AD are grouped in OU, not simply in the Domain Users, their numbers are not populated.

I've experienced same problem - but moving user to Users folder fixes the problem.

So, this is the problem of address book worker searching in AD - it sees Container attributes, but not OU!

But I want the domain users to be grouped in OU's so I'll try to further dig in problem.

Thanks to Jeff Schertz for wery usefull posts (in his blog also)

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:47 PM