How do I identify 32-bit network drivers? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore a 64-bit Vista Ultimate PC.

In my first attempt to restore it, the recovery app told me it can't find my server. I figured that I have to put the 32-bit network drivers on a USB thumbdrive. I would just dump the C:\Windows\System32 directory in there, but the thumbdrive is only 2GB and that directory is 3.5GB.

How can I identify my network card's drivers? According to Device Manager, I have a Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E GBE NIC onboard network card.

Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please read How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.

As an alternative, consider installing a PCI nic (I like Intel, but Marvell is also good) instead of using the onboard Realtek nic. It'll be more reliable and easier to deal with.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:12 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Try here
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

There isn't a separate 32-bit/64-bit package, so perhaps they included both together.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Thank you Ken, I followed those steps. Step 3.c.v was a failure - the restore CD says that no network drivers were found.

Edit: This machine is a small form factor one; I don't have enough room to get another card in there. However, if this issue isn't resolved, I will need to find a way to make that work.

Edit: And thank you Evader99, I will try that one and see if it gets me any closer to restoring this machine.

Edit: The restore process is now running. The problem was that I took the FAQ literally. It states to download the Windows XP/Server 2003 driver, when I should have downloaded the Windows Vista/Server 2008 drivers. I should also mention that step 3.c.ii doesn't occur at all, and it definitely confused me.

Finally, I added my two cents to the existing Connect bug regarding the lack of a 64-bit restore process. The average PC user, the target market for the WHS, would have an extremely difficult time accomplishing this. With more 64-bit Vista machines being sold, restoring them should be just as seemless as 32-bit ones.

Thanks for your help guys!
    • Edited by Will Diaz Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:11 PM The answer revealed
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hmm,

after working my way through this nasty network problem, I got my restore working using the network drivers provided by the mainboard manufacturer.

I was convinced that this was a clever move as the driver is matching the hardware now, but now I am a bit confused by Wills Post.
    Was I just lucky that the package provided was an 32/64Bit  XP/Vista/Windows7 all you can think of bundle?

In my naive thinking, the recovery CD sets up a barebone 32Bit Windows OS, so using the XP/2003 Drivers will always be correct.

Now it seems the OS which has to be recovered is relevant. Please Advise.

Kuschelhummer( i.e. Cozylobster in english)
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:40 AM
    Now it seems the OS which has to be recovered is relevant. Please Advise.
    You want to use 32 bit drivers, for Vista if available. 64 bit Vista drivers will not work, as the Restore CD is a 32 bit WinPE 2.0 environment.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:55 PM