Cannot rename or delete files on WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a bunch of video files setup for streaming on my WHS2011, with Shadow Copies enabled.  When I try to delete or rename these files, I get a "File in Use" error.  What is the proper method for dealing with this problem?

Thanks all!!

Steve

Sunday, March 4, 2012 7:17 PM

Answers

• I think I got the problem resolved.  I turned off Shadow copies and was able to modify the files.  Not sure if that was the correct procedure, but it looks like SC lock the files when it is enabled.  A quick note - With SC enabled I was able to modify some files occasionally but intermittantly, after disabling SC had full write privledges again.
    • Edited by SMF101 Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by SMF101 Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:40 PM

All replies

• It could be a transient condition.  Is it persisting for more than a few minutes?   Does it resolve if your server is rebooted?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:36 PM
  • I think I got the problem resolved.  I turned off Shadow copies and was able to modify the files.  Not sure if that was the correct procedure, but it looks like SC lock the files when it is enabled.  A quick note - With SC enabled I was able to modify some files occasionally but intermittantly, after disabling SC had full write privledges again.
    • Edited by SMF101 Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by SMF101 Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:40 PM