User Account locking up RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 user accounts setup on my WHS, however my account has locked up 2 times now. It will not allow me to access even the shared folders, it says my account does not have permission to access the folder. Even trying to access my own shared folder says I don't have permission. I tried resetting the password with no successs. Remote access is enabled and it will not allow me to login to the homeserver domain either. One of my other user accounts that has remote access is able to login no problem. The only way I have been able to resolve the problem is to remove the user and create a new one with the same name. Everything seems to be fine now. The frustrating thing is that it's happened twice now, I have been looking around to see if this seems to be an ongoing problem.
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• There should be no need to reset the account through remote desktop. Wait 1/2 hour and it should reset automatically.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:16 PM
  • chamsys said:

Actually I did recently install a printer on my server but that was a month or two ago. As for the incorrect login, while it's possible I am not doing it (children in the house). As for waiting 1/2 hour that does not work, I was locked out for at least 2 days that I know of. The symptom that I noticed was I was unable to print a document, got tired of messing with it and connected the printer directly so I could print it out. I don't use the shared folders shortcut on my desktop very often, but when I was locked out, I would immediatly get rejected from accessing it. Now when I look at this user account the option to lock out the account is greyed out.

Ken's answer is correct.  If it doesn't unlock after 30 minutes, then either A) there is something wrong with your installation (not likely) or B) someone or something is continually trying to access your server with an incorrect password such that there is never 30 minutes of inactivity for it to reset.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:28 PM

All replies

• It's not a solution but it might be a start.  To find out if the account is truly locked out, connect to your home server via remote desktop.  Right click on my computer and choose 'manage'.  Under the users and groups, click on users and pick the account that is having the access problem.  Check the properties of the account to see if the "account is locked out" box is checked. 
    Monday, March 10, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Sometimes a simple logoff of the home computer and logging back in with that user/password will solve the problem.  If you change permissions on a Shared Folder via the Windows Home Server Console, you will need to logoff from the home computer and then log back in before the permissions are applied.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:12 AM
  • I did reboot both the server and the laptop that could not get logged on and it made no change. After blowing out the user name it has not happened again yet. I will follow up if it happens again.
    I did not check the server to see what the "official" status of the user account before I removed it. I'll have to check that in the future.
    • Unmarked as answer by chamsys Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:03 AM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:23 AM
  • OK this finally happened to me again, and yes my name was locked out under users and groups. Now the real serious question is how did that happen. I am the only one that has access to the Home Server and there would have been no reason in the world that I would do something like that. So is there a glitch that randomly locks people out of their account.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:02 AM
  • I haven't heard of any glitch before that locks people out of their accounts.  I know if I repeatedly try to login here at work on their network with the incorrect password multiple times in a row I will be locked out for a certain period of time.  Could something like this be happening?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:30 AM
  • Have you synced the computers password with the server and do you use a proper login to access your local account? If not and you have connected a printer to the server or set up a drive letter to map a share it seems to me the system tries to reach the printer/share withhout a password and therefore the account locks up.

I got the same problems when I didn't use login on the client computer with a printer on the server.

As mentioned in a previous pos you can RemoteDesktop to the server end reenable the account.

• Edited by stolpe Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:18 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:17 PM
  • There should be no need to reset the account through remote desktop. Wait 1/2 hour and it should reset automatically.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Actually I did recently install a printer on my server but that was a month or two ago. As for the incorrect login, while it's possible I am not doing it (children in the house). As for waiting 1/2 hour that does not work, I was locked out for at least 2 days that I know of. The symptom that I noticed was I was unable to print a document, got tired of messing with it and connected the printer directly so I could print it out. I don't use the shared folders shortcut on my desktop very often, but when I was locked out, I would immediatly get rejected from accessing it. Now when I look at this user account the option to lock out the account is greyed out.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 1:36 AM
  • chamsys said:

Actually I did recently install a printer on my server but that was a month or two ago. As for the incorrect login, while it's possible I am not doing it (children in the house). As for waiting 1/2 hour that does not work, I was locked out for at least 2 days that I know of. The symptom that I noticed was I was unable to print a document, got tired of messing with it and connected the printer directly so I could print it out. I don't use the shared folders shortcut on my desktop very often, but when I was locked out, I would immediatly get rejected from accessing it. Now when I look at this user account the option to lock out the account is greyed out.

Ken's answer is correct.  If it doesn't unlock after 30 minutes, then either A) there is something wrong with your installation (not likely) or B) someone or something is continually trying to access your server with an incorrect password such that there is never 30 minutes of inactivity for it to reset.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:28 PM