none
MPI is ignoring saved credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

as a potential user (not developer) of a MS-MPI parallel application (named ORCA), I had to made some preliminary tests to let it work on my cluster of PCs. I use Windows 7 Ultimate, MS-MPI 8.1, Firefall overall disabled, each note has the same account name and password and in all hosts the service MSMPILaunchSvc is automatically running.

In fact, when I try to reach a remote PC connect through MS-MPI through a Test row such as

D:\ORCA>C:\Programmi\MS-MPI\Bin\mpiexec -hosts 1 Trento 1 -pwd [omissis] -savecreds hostname

I get, as expected,

Trento

and I can confirm that my password (or somewhat else) has been actually encrypted and saved as REG_EXPAND_SZ value  in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MPI\MSMPI_Credentials of remote Trento host

However, whenever I run, subsequently, this command

D:\ORCA>C:\Programmi\MS-MPI\Bin\mpiexec -hosts 1 Trento 1 hostname

I always get the request:

Enter Password for AQUILA\Maurizio:
    Save Credentials[y|n]? y

Trento

In spite of what is reported in the release notes of version 7 of Microsoft MPI: "After you run mpiexec with the -savecreds option on a set of nodes, you do not have to provide the password on subsequent runs for those nodes unless the password is changed. If the user is running in interactive mode, mpiexec prompts for the password if the launch service is running and the password has not been provided or previously saved with the -savecreds option.", indeed MPI seems to ignore the saved credentials.

How can I workaround this issue or is that a known problem of current version of MS-MPI of yours?

Please take into account that the above described issue is not only an annoying one. In fact, MPI application which I would like to use does NOT allow user enter any password, therefore its use is compromised to us so long the remote password trouble is not fixed.

Best regards,

Maurizio

Sunday, September 3, 2017 10:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Maurizio,

This is a known issue that is a regression in MS-MPI v8.1. We'll be releasing v8.1.1 that will have this fixed in the next couple weeks. If this is blocking you please downgrade your MS-MPI back to v8 and upgrade to v8.1.1 when it comes out. We are sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Anh

• Marked as answer by RotAnal Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:22 PM
    Sunday, September 3, 2017 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Maurizio,

This is a known issue that is a regression in MS-MPI v8.1. We'll be releasing v8.1.1 that will have this fixed in the next couple weeks. If this is blocking you please downgrade your MS-MPI back to v8 and upgrade to v8.1.1 when it comes out. We are sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Anh

• Marked as answer by RotAnal Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:22 PM
    Sunday, September 3, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Dear Ahn,

that the issue is known and in a short time a fix will be released is a good news to read, though the BUG has kept me occupied for days in the vain hope of finding myself a solution. It would have rather been better to ask you, instead!

I wonder if you are also aware of another annoying bug, that is MS-MPI fails to properly detect that the called app has terminated (mpiexec keeps hung and never exit). I have read that it had been noticed since 7.1 version and not fixed yet. If you wish, I can prepare a separate, specific question post.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Maurizio

• Edited by RotAnal Monday, September 4, 2017 8:06 PM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hi Maurizio,

Can you describe more specifically the scenario that mpiexec hangs waiting for the app to exit? We do track the app's termination and try to cleanly exit while passing on useful return code to the users but there might be complex scenarios that prevent mpiexec from properly exiting and it would be great to know about this so that we can address this in the next release

Anh

Monday, September 4, 2017 10:29 PM
  • Dear Ahr,

thanks again for being interested to my issues. I will prepare a post in a short time because I feel that that issue could be too important to other users to be "buried" among the comments of another subject like this one.

In meantime I will mark this post as answered and keep tuned to get the fix release. Thank you!

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

We have released v8.1.1 that has the fix for this issue. You can download it here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55991

Anh

Monday, October 2, 2017 5:34 PM