Can my Original Xbox connect to WHS using Xbox media extender? RRS feed

• Question

• I have my 360 set up and can access my media from my Windows Home Server easily with it.  I want to set up my original xbox to do the same thing.  I have the windows media Center extender for xbox and was wondering if it can connect to WHS.

Windows Media Center Extender for Xbox (Original Box)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:42 PM

Answers

• No, I dont think it will work as it requires Windows Media Connect 2.0.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:48 PM

• But that remote is great to use with XBMC on an original modded Xbox.  I use XBMC with this remote and just read my media files off an SMB share on the WHS.  Works great.   Then this MediaCenterExtender application I have added to the Xbox HardDisk as an application within XBMC to stream live TV from another MediaCenter PC.  This MediaCenterExtender on the original Xbox is pretty slow and not much to write home about however.  XBMC is the way to go, period.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:58 PM

All replies

• No, I dont think it will work as it requires Windows Media Connect 2.0.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:48 PM

• But that remote is great to use with XBMC on an original modded Xbox.  I use XBMC with this remote and just read my media files off an SMB share on the WHS.  Works great.   Then this MediaCenterExtender application I have added to the Xbox HardDisk as an application within XBMC to stream live TV from another MediaCenter PC.  This MediaCenterExtender on the original Xbox is pretty slow and not much to write home about however.  XBMC is the way to go, period.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Ok, thats what i was figuring, but wasnt sure.
    Thanks
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:39 PM
  • ediguywi

Thanks another question for ya.
    I have also been looking at modding the xbox to XBMC.  What option did you use?  Just looking for any suggestions you might have since you have some experience.  Hard Mod or Soft mod?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:41 PM

• I went with a Xenium Gold hard mod chip.  I had an older 1.4 version XBOX so it really was easy as dropping it in and FTP'ing the XBMC files and new BIOS up to the system.  I know they say soft mods are just as simple, but I didn't have any of the needed items for that so I just bought the chip.  Been running for a couple years now without issue.   I don't use the UPnP client to stream from WHS, just point to one of the shares I created with .avi and ripped DVD files and it works great.  I've watched videos on the XBox from the WHS while I was copying several gigs to the WHS at the same time.  Neither the XB or WHS's DE caused a single hiccup.  

Here's a thread at the XBMC forums about using that Extender program you linked to in conjunction with XBMC and mapping the "My TV" button on the remote to launch the Extender program from within XBMC. 
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7191&page=5

Now the only problem going forward is that the old original Xbox doesn't really do HD, so some day in the future I'll be shopping for a HD network media player to eventually replace the XBMC.   Not really looking for a UPnP "streaming" client but rather something that can just do SMB shares off the WHS.  With XBMC being ported to MacOSX and Linux, a MacMini may be a replacment down the road (not really a cost effective one, however).  There's a thread over on WeGotServed new forums with a couple ideas too: http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=503

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Well, i see this thread is kind of old, so I hope you have it sorted out by now, but here's my story.

I've got a v1.6 xbox. I tried installing a hardware mod but it didn't work afterwards, so I removed it and had a fella install the XBMC softmod and it works pretty good. The hardware mod seemed fairly straightforward but when I got to the soldering part I realized the lands I had to solder wires to were very small. Tiny, one might say, and close together, too. My eyesight wasn't good enough to do a proper job of it and i don't have one of those magnifying lenses surrounded by a light as technicians might have. I have a bunch of different sized tips for my soldering iron and none were small enough to do this job right.

The XBMC program works well but has a few bugs and it locks up occasionally, but it reboots in just a few seconds so it isn't that big of a deal. The response time with whs is amazing - push a button and the music seems to have started before the button is all the way down. A huge difference from the old laptop I tried to use before, where everything seemed to have been dipped in cold molasses.

I don't know anything about media extenders, but this xbox works great with whs. Movies, pictures, music and plays games, too. Mine cost $125 on a big auction site plus $20 for the hardware that didn't work, plus $20 to the guy that did the soft mod. Still pretty cheap. And it came with 12 games, wired controller, wireless controller, headset and 8 MB extra memory thing. Really an amazing value for a media player. I wish MS would allow for this use officially.

Now then, how to put game dvd's on the server and make them playable so I can store those things away?
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:37 PM