When will the Mac client preview be released? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there - I have been testing Live Mesh for almost two months now and find it fast, stable and improving with each release.

As a user of both PCs and MACs, I have been anxiously following news relating to a possible Mac client, forever marked as "Coming Soon" on the Devices page of mesh.com !  It would truly be a great sync solution for offline use as and when a Mac client became available. 

Recently, there seems to have been a flurry of Internet chat about the client, with some web pages claiming that you put up a preview of the Mac client this week, then possibly took it down again.

Could we get an official word on this?  

Would love to help test the Mac client!

Carl

================
    Carl P
    Software Developer
    www.fatattitude.com

Carlos P
    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the kind feedback regarding Live Mesh.  We know that many people are eagerly awaiting the Mac client, and we're working to get it out as soon as we possibly can.  Unfortunately, though, I'm unable to say exactly when that will be.  All I can do is ask that you please be patient with us - we want to make sure that when we do release the Mac client our customers have the same great Live Mesh experience on theirs Macs as when using Windows!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 6:59 PM

All replies

• Yes official word on the Mac client would be great. I am pleasantly surprised with the Mesh service. So far for me its been very stable. Im just looking forward to the Mac client.

Jason
    Monday, August 4, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the kind feedback regarding Live Mesh.  We know that many people are eagerly awaiting the Mac client, and we're working to get it out as soon as we possibly can.  Unfortunately, though, I'm unable to say exactly when that will be.  All I can do is ask that you please be patient with us - we want to make sure that when we do release the Mac client our customers have the same great Live Mesh experience on theirs Macs as when using Windows!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 6:59 PM
  • hi ben, i'm also looking forward to the intro of the mac client, and the mobile client and extension of the devices to include thinks like wireless photo frames as that is when the technology will really come into its own.

I am I manager of a large art gallery with around 40 macs (with pretty much every version of the os) as well as a whole lot of pcs...so if you need any beta testing i'd be quite happy to help out , have been supporting mac / pc integrated environments for the last 10 years Plus from nt /os 8.6 right up to vista/10.5.

ps just like to say you guys at microsoft are doing some great work, i saw the live live mesh demo along with a photosynth demo at the code works "thinking digital" conference in gateshead in may and i have actually been using both this week as fully featured products. keep up the good work.

Dave 
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Let me just say: after using MobileMe since it was released, and specifically in trying to use it to sync with my various Vista PCs, you have a real opportunity to make some noise with Mesh. MobileMe is just chock full of problems that Mesh seems to avoid, and so releasing the Mac client sooner rather than later is much advised.

Of course, you know this already, but I just can't wait until I can sync some files between my Mac and my PCs with something approaching reliability and consistency.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:58 AM
  •  It might be helpful to perhaps occasionally give a bit of insight on the blog into the development of clients for other platforms?  I'm sure there must be plenty of challenges getting files sync'd between Windows and Mac clients.

For example, with the Mac client, are you working with the Mac Business Unit (MBU) or independantly?  Are you working with Apple directly?  Do you have Macs there that you are testing with (or again, are the MBU helping with that)?

Talk to us and I'm sure we'll be less impatient! ;)

--
    Rallicat
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:43 AM
  • Hi Rallicat,

You make a good point, and I've passed on your comments to the rest of the Live Mesh team.  I do believe we will have more to say about our Mac client in the not-too-distant future, but comments like yours may inspire someone to open up a little more with the community.

Thanks for the prodding. :)

Ben.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Thanks Ben - I'm sure we'll get a whole truckload of information about Mesh in general coming out of the PDC - can't wait to see what's coming next!!

--
    Rallicat
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:02 PM