User Folder RRS feed

• Question

• What happen to the User folder for each user that is added to WHS? I don't see it in Vail. Is it just missing for now and being worked on or this feature gone now?

Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find it with a search.

Thanks,

fasthair

Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:29 AM

Answers

• What happen to the User folder for each user that is added to WHS? I don't see it in Vail. Is it just missing for now and being worked on or this feature gone now?

Thanks,

fasthair

It's been removed in Vail.  However, you can simply create your own shares (one for each user) through the Dashboard.
    • Marked as answer by fasthair Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:52 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:43 AM

All replies

Thanks,

fasthair

It's been removed in Vail.  However, you can simply create your own shares (one for each user) through the Dashboard.
    • Marked as answer by fasthair Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:52 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:43 AM
  • I guess that answers that. Thanks again kariya.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I created a "Users" share through the dashboard and experienced the following:

• When accessing the "Users" share from my attached client machine (Win 7 x64) it would pull up the actual 2008 R2 user folder with "Administrator" and "Public" folders in it.
    • When RDP to server and looking at the mapped drives the "Users" share I created was there and empty.
    • I copied data to the mapped drive on the server but that data would not show up when navigating to "Users" from the client machine.  I would still get the 2008 R2 users folder.
    • I rebooted without luck
    • I then deleted the "Users" share from the dashboard and proceeded to place my "Users" data in the "Documents" share created by Vail during installation.

Any one else see this happen?  I created the share while Windows Update was installing updates (not sure if this contributed).

Chad

Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Please report a bug on Connect for this. The problem is that the Users folder (on C:) is shared on Vail. I think that happens during setup of File and Printer Sharing. Ideally, the default Users folder shouldn't be shared at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Please report a bug on Connect for this. The problem is that the Users folder (on C:) is shared on Vail. I think that happens during setup of File and Printer Sharing. Ideally, the default Users folder shouldn't be shared at all.

Done - Thanks Ken
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for filing the bug.  We removed the Users share in Vail because we had hard data that over 80% of people deleted this folder.  So we opt’d to let the < 20% create the folders they need. 

Thanks for filing the bug, I’ll take a look at it this afternoon.
       Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"crwagner" wrote in message news:0f35dce9-7ac1-4437-b6e4-4b80626ce590...
    Please report a bug on Connect for this. The problem is that the Users folder (on C:) is shared on Vail. I think that happens during setup of File and Printer Sharing. Ideally, the default Users folder shouldn't be shared at all.

Done - Thanks Ken
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Being in that less than 20% gets me in trouble quite often...

Thanks for looking into it Sean - I must say I am very impressed with Vail so far.  The remote streaming stuff is very cool.

Chad

Friday, April 30, 2010 2:46 AM
  • That’s my favorite stuff too.  :o)

"crwagner" wrote in message news:6eb942e4-f2cc-4d62-bc24-2330c8f479f6...

Being in that less than 20% gets me in trouble quite often...

Thanks for looking into it Sean - I must say I am very impressed with Vail so far.  The remote streaming stuff is very cool.

Chad

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:21 PM
  • I think it should be an option when you install WHS.  I personally use this 'user' share then re-direct "My Documents" on my 3 PC's to the WHS.  This way no matter what PC I use at home I always have my documents available to me.

Maybe this should be a feature included in the dashboard / connector software to re-direct My Documents????  I might pose it on the connect site.

Having to go through the extra 'STEP' to make a seperate share for all of my user accounts seems counter productive.

Pugsly0014
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Please do post it and send it back here for votes.  We’ll see how many votes it gets, and consider it based on that.

Sean

"Pugsly0014" wrote in message news:453f3104-2877-4782-82db-91eb8694e2b2...

I think it should be an option when you install WHS.  I personally use this 'user' share then re-direct "My Documents" on my 3 PC's to the WHS.  This way no matter what PC I use at home I always have my documents available to me.

Maybe this should be a feature included in the dashboard / connector software to re-direct My Documents????  I might pose it on the connect site.

Having to go through the extra 'STEP' to make a seperate share for all of my user accounts seems counter productive.

Pugsly0014
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Done
    Pugsly0014
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Or mine . I like mine better; it's a little more specific as to required functionality.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:39 PM
  • We removed the Users share in Vail because we had hard data that over 80% of people deleted this folder.  So we opt’d to let the < 20% create the folders they need. 

Actually, 20% of users wanted this feature. 

I'd suggest that it is worth keeping, especially as people become more familiar and confident with having "My Documents", "My Pictures", "my ..." stored in their user share.

• Proposed as answer by tlindi Monday, May 17, 2010 7:07 PM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Or perhaps 80% didnt understand that they could or should use these folders and get benefits over and above having their my docs on a single pc.  I would suggest however keeping the pst file out of my docs if using outlook as I believe microsoft doesnt support pst files as network residing files.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:20 AM
  • I think it should be an option when you install WHS.

It should be an option at any time. Most users won't "install" Vail on a white box, they'll buy it on an OEM server. They should be able to create a Users share too. :)

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:26 AM
  • That's like saying the atmosphere is less than 20% oxygen, so we are going to remove oxygen.

--

"skiwier" <=?utf-8?B?c2tpd2llcg==?=> wrote in message news:16be8120-c9a6-40a0-86a2-ffcf045f1aa0...
    We removed the Users share in Vail because we had hard data that over 80% of people deleted this folder.  So we opt’d to let the < 20% create the folders they need. 

Actually, 20% of users wanted this feature. 

I'd suggest that it is worth keeping, especially as people become more familiar and confident with having "My Documents", "My Pictures", "my ..." stored in their user share.

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 5:13 AM
  • I also use the users share to redirect "my documents". Doing it that way makes sure my wife can find her documents.

So I'm also in the 20% group:)

MSCE
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:50 PM
  • You can always create this share yourself.  it’s 12 (or so) clicks.

"Ruud Boersma" wrote in message news:3f30f585-ccbe-45e1-a87e-2f6ea9292ba7...

I also use the users share to redirect "my documents". Doing it that way makes sure my wife can find her documents.

So I'm also in the 20% group:)

MSCE
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:27 PM
  • You can always create this share yourself.  it’s 12 (or so) clicks.

Note that, if you join or create a homegroup with your server, a Users share will be created as part of that process. Most likely (though I haven't tried) Vail will raise an error if you try to create a Users share on your server after that, and I don't know off the top of my head what will happen if you create the Users share first, then join a homegroup.

The share is tied to C:\Users on your server.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:25 PM
  • This is a known issue apparently.  Thanks for reporting it.

Sean

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:54ea40cc-5de2-475b-ad15-0de54d632012...
    You can always create this share yourself.  it’s 12 (or so) clicks.

Note that, if you join or create a homegroup with your server, a Users share will be created as part of that process. Most likely (though I haven't tried) Vail will raise an error if you try to create a Users share on your server after that, and I don't know off the top of my head what will happen if you create the Users share first, then join a homegroup.

The share is tied to C:\Users on your server.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:33 PM