Balancing HDD... RRS feed

• Question

•  can i start this process or is it done at certain intervals? or is it working in the background and only let's me know when it's done?  i just added a drive cause i was almost out of space after moving all my movies to my server and after 30mins i still can't move the rest of my movies to the server even though the console says i have 935.79gb of free space.  is there a way that i can tell if it's balancing and how long til it's done?
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:33 AM

Answers

• With Powerpack 1, it is done every hour, on the hour. It will say on the console the last time it was balanced.
    If you have a lot of data, I would expect 30 mins is not enough time. There is some overhead with WHS as it moves files around.
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Friday, September 19, 2008 4:00 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:36 AM

All replies

• With Powerpack 1, it is done every hour, on the hour. It will say on the console the last time it was balanced.
    If you have a lot of data, I would expect 30 mins is not enough time. There is some overhead with WHS as it moves files around.
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Friday, September 19, 2008 4:00 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:36 AM
  • ncinsguy said:

can i start this process or is it done at certain intervals? or is it working in the background and only let's me know when it's done?  i just added a drive cause i was almost out of space after moving all my movies to my server and after 30mins i still can't move the rest of my movies to the server even though the console says i have 935.79gb of free space.  is there a way that i can tell if it's balancing and how long til it's done?

Evaders99's post is not 100% correct.  After installing Power Pack 1, the data on the primary drive is not moved at all unless the primary drive has less than 10 GB free.  Please read Drive Extender Not Migrating Data for details and a post from Theo van Elsberg towards the end of the thread where he created a tool that should force the data from the primary drive.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:55 AM