streaming media on my HP ex475 WHS RRS feed

• Question

• is there a way i can set up my WHS to stream my music and movies to computers over the internet?

IE im here @ work bored i open up windows media player and do open url and type in my IP and have access to all my media

ive tried so many failed add-ins its sad im just looking for something simple like said above
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:41 PM

All replies

• is there a way i can set up my WHS to stream my music and movies to computers over the internet?

IE im here @ work bored i open up windows media player and do open url and type in my IP and have access to all my media

ive tried so many failed add-ins its sad im just looking for something simple like said above
    I don't use an HP MSS, but I thought it already had that ability for music (although it might not be on the 47x models).  In any event, you could try using the WebFolders4WHS add-in which will make all of your server shares appear as "local" and the files should then be playable by simply double-clicking on them.  Otherwise, the only other options I know of would all be unsupported (i.e. installing a streaming app, such as Orb).
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:40 PM
    im just looking for something simple
    The simplest answer is "use an iPod". Which is what I do. :) Though sadly my music library is far too large to fit on my iPod, so I have to pick and choose what I'm going to carry.

Failing that, you could take a look at the Fireplay add-in for Windows Home Server. It integrates with FireFly, the iTunes streaming server built into the EX475, and allows you to play your music through any browser that supports Flash.

There are other options as well, such as installing Orb on your server, but they're all going to be unsupported to one degree or another...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:02 PM
  • i have fireplay right now but hate it. it wont allow shuffling though all my music or let me choose a directory to play out of

as far as the post above does orb have a whs installer i did not see one on there site
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Orb is, as I said, not really supported on Windows Home Server. Some users have installed it anyway, and I know it can stream your media over the Internet.

You can request that the developers create a Windows Home Server add-in, but I don't know how far you'll get. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:42 PM