Addin based on .NET 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I have written an Addin that relies on .NET 3.5 for very good reasons.  (WPF's ability to read EXIF metadata from photo's.)

This addin works perfectly in my dev environment with the DLL installed into the program files/home server folder.

However, I'd like to build a proper installer for end-users to this.  I know how to do this using WIX and Votive (enough samples available online); but nowhere is mentioned how it would be possible to add .NET 3.5 into the installation process.

I've read about a possibility called "bootstrapping" (including the .NET FX install); but wasn't sure the setup.exe generated by this process would be compatible with WHS - I guess not (since certain metadata needs to be present indicating that its intended to be installed on WHS).

What would be the recommended way to do this please?  I want to avoid by all means that end-users will need to log on to the console in order to do a custom .NET installation.

Best regards!

Christof

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:26 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi there,

Did you ever get this to work.  I frigged the WIX installer which produced the MSI file, and installed okay, but nothing showed up on the console tab.

Regards,

James.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:20 PM
  • I believe you will have to wrap the full redistributable package in your installer, not the bootstrapper.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply,

Can you explain or give an example of what you mean?

Many thanks,

James.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:28 PM
  • You may want to read Microsoft's documentation on how to distribute .Net Framework applications on MSDN.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:46 PM
  •  

Hi,

I think you have misunderstood my question.  To add some further detail.  I have managed on many occiasions to develop WHS add-in using .Net 2.0 framework and WIX installer - no problem - works a treat.  I am now trying to install a .Net 3.5 add-in for WHS which is installing as expected but is not showing up on the console. 

Regards,

James.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:56 PM
  • From the sounds of it WiX doesn't yet have built in support for deploying versions of the .NET framework... only detecting which versions are installed.

With a little work you can use MSBuild to build a custom bootstrapper that will download and install additional components... including the framework version of your choice.

Unfortunately I do not believe the above option would be very workable in this case for you as the bootstrapper is built as an exe which means even if it were to be called automatically through the launching of the MSI (which I have not tested)... a user of your add-in would have to deploy two different files to the add-ins directory.

As for your add-in not appearing in the console... in your test deployments is that occurring just on machines without the 3.5 Framework or all?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:19 PM