none
Rename HPC 2016 head node cluster connection string RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have setup three HPC 2016 head nodes in a high availability cluster using the online MS documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/high-performance-computing/step-2-deploy-the-head-node-or-nodes?view=hpc16-ps

By default the cluster connection string is setup by the installation wizard to be in the format of:

servername1,servername2, servername3

In order to connect to the high availability head node cluster, one of my work applications is able to connect to the head node cluster using the cluster name e.g. servernames separated by commas.

However, another application designed in house by my company is not able to connect to the Head node cluster name. It can only connect to the "active" head node in the cluster. I think this may be due to the fact that the head node cluster name has commas in it so our software cannot connect to HPC head nodes using that cluster name.

To resolve this I would like to see if I am able to change the clustername to something other than the default (servername1,servername2,servername3) to something user defined that is much simpler (for exampe, HPC-Cluster1).

Is it possible to rename the HPC head node cluster name (or connection string as I think it is also called) to something that doesn't have commas in it?

Thank you,

Scott G

• Edited by tscottg76 Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Scoutt,

I Believe the "another application" is using the old version of HPC Pack SDK, which still uses the old interface to connect to the cluster. THus it can only being able to connect to the active headnode.

Thus you can:

- Ask the application owner to upgrade to latest HPC Pack 2016 SDK

- Or having a loadbalancer in front of the three headnode, the loadbalancer probe the active headnode, and re-direct the scheduler traffic to the active headnode

Qiufang Shi

Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:12 AM