Disk & Recovery Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am really liking the concept of WHS however I am trying to decide how I want to deploy it in my home. I am very keen on keeping things as recoverable as possible. I am not very trusting when it comes to thinking of the concept of dropping a 500GB drive on a WHS and "hoping" if things go bad that I can recover all my important items.

That being said I have a few questions so that I can understand.

I am hearing conflicting information about HD configurations WHS uses. On one hand I am hearing it partitions the primary drive as a 10GB system partition for the OS and any data remaining to the data store. Any drive added additionally is added to the data store.

On the other hand I am hearing if the system drive dies, you simply have to do a re-installation of WHS and reconfigure the users etc but your data/backups remain.

If the primary drive is 80GB and it dies, do you not lose the data contained in the 70GB data store partition? the OS is not my issue here as reinstalling is easy. I am afraid if WHS is handling all these drives if the 80GB drive simply dies that some of my files are gone with it.

I feel more comfortable having the OS and data stores on completely different drives all together and also having backups on completely different drives.

I am afraid of 2 scenarios:

1. Primary drive dies, I lose the 10GB OS partition (no biggie) and lose the 70GB of data.

2. 500GB data store drive dies, if I have backups configured, where do they go? to this drive? Does that mean I lost my backups as well? If so backups don't seem so useful in this case.

I am sure I am misinformed on some of my statements so I would greatly appreciate some clarification & answers.

Also does the OS make clear what is going where so that I can understand how its handled things?

Thanks and take care.

Friday, November 2, 2007 3:03 PM

Answers

• You should be able to just plug the drives into Windows 2012 (or whatever) and read the data off of them. You can plug the drives into Windows now and read the data if you had to.

Besides, you might be using WHS V2 or V3 by then as well :-)

Andrew

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi

Take a look at the Drive Extender white paper - it may answer some of your questions - or give you more :-)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Andrew

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:28 PM
  • For what it's worth, I've been in IT for 10 years and have only had two instances of TOTALLY unrecoverable drive failures with individual drives out of tens of thousands of machines over the years.

Nevertheless, I think you would be pretty safe with at least 2 drives and folder duplication enabled.

That gives me a good idea though; simulated hard drive failure test, where I remove one of my drives and replace it with a different one.  I may try that this weekend just to see what happens.

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:38 PM
  • That is a good point but not my question really. My question being from what I've read WHS sets up on your primary drive a 10GB partition for OS and the remaining goes to data storage. If you add a secondary disk, it can append its storage to data storage.

But what happens to the files on data storage on the primary disk if it fails? We know the 10GB OS can be reinstalled however what about the secondary partition containing data?

Additionally if I have 2 drives, the storage from secondary partition on the primary drive + any additional drives, if backup is enabled where does it go? will backups of drive 1 go to drive 2, and backups of drive 2 go to drive 1?

I am concerned about (consider these 2 seperate situations, don't think of it as multi-disk failure):

1. The primary disk fails although the secondary partition of this drive is used for storage correct?

2. If the backups are on a disk, and it fails, you lose data + backups? Or are backups distributed?

I will give the whitepaper a read, thanks!

Friday, November 2, 2007 5:37 PM
  •  

Ok I read the whitepaper. Very interesting. This satisfies many of my questions.

One scenario does pop up in my head however. Being a home server it is potential that I may not need to change this system for 4-6 years. As we know the computing industry changes much in that time.

Let's assume that for whatever reason my WHS motherboard or something like this dies. I am unable to find hardware that WHS will install onto any longer without paying a premium (old ram usually costs an arm and a leg to buy etc).

I have these disks which still work however. The world is great at keeping IDE/SATA etc compatibility, adapters etc so are these drives still easily readable and I can pull my data off of them? I do expect that if I have duplication I will see 2 drives perhaps with the same files but as long as these files are easily accessible on other systems if I plug the drives in I think I am satisfied.

I don't like the idea of 500GB-1TB of data being vendor-locked in so to speak. If this is possible I think all my issues of my data are satisfied Smile

Thanks and take care.

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:13 PM
  • You should be able to just plug the drives into Windows 2012 (or whatever) and read the data off of them. You can plug the drives into Windows now and read the data if you had to.

Besides, you might be using WHS V2 or V3 by then as well :-)

Andrew

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Ok sounds good. I wanted to make sure files were still stored normally although duplicated (no big deal, if its a disaster atleast the files are there and I just have to figure out which are the newest to keep).

I am also toying around with the idea of using VPC to run this since I don't really feel I need to build a whole other PC just for this but from what I am gathering you don't any of the disk features using VPC since you can't keep adding virtual HD's located on new added real HD's. A little unfortunate because I have a PC I want to use as my Media Center in my living room but also feel it could be the Home Server as well and not very appealing to buy 2x PC parts.

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet about this.

Friday, November 2, 2007 8:04 PM