RCC with OCS R2 and CUCM6.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for clarification on what I need to do RCC?  We have implemented Exchange UM with CUCM 6.1 and have installed OCS R2.  I am confused with what I need to do RCC especially now with OCS R2.  Do I need CUPS or can I use a SIP/CSTA gateway or am I able to use DirectSip?  Also, I don't believe I need a mediation server for RCC only, is that correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:37 PM

All replies

• Depends on what you want to do.

• Do you want to use MOC to directly control a Cisco IP phone?
    • Do you want to reflect phone line status ("on the phone") within OCS when a user's picks up a Cisco line?
    If either of these is true, then yes you need a CUPS server to provide the CSTA interface between OCS and the Cisco UC environment.  If this is all you want to do, you do not need a mediation server.

• Do you want to be able to ring calls to both a Cisco IP Phone and MOC client simultaneously?
    • Do you want to be able to use the MOC client as a softphone to place calls?
    • Do you want to have some of your users on Cisco IP Phones and other on MOC as their sole phone endpoint?
    In any of these cases you do need a mediation server as you have a potential audio path when the call is answered on the MOC client, and this call setup and audio must flow through a mediation server (I'm assuming that your Cisco environment is your current primary telephony platform).

It gets more interesting when you consider that the above scenarios can be somewhat mix and matched.  Hope this helps.

Fred Nielsen
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Hi Fred,

Your response is very helpful.  I do want to use MOC to control the cisco phones and reflect line status.  I do not require any use of MOC as a softphone.  So, it looks like I do not need mediation server, but I do need CUPS.  Can I use a sip/csta gateway like the one from covergence instead of CUPS?

Thanks,

Perry

Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:04 PM
  • I've heard of their solution and from the Call Control product brief they seem to perform a like function to what CUPS provides in terms of OCS RCC <-> CSTA <-their product-> TAPI <-> CM <-> IP Phone but I don't yet have any direct experience with it.

Fred Nielsen
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

genesys gets can replace CUPS  as the RCC server as well for Callmanager.

http://www.genesyslab.com/products/enterprise_collaboration.asp

Cheers
    Chris
    http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Fred has provide a good summary of the options.     The Covergence solution (www.covergence.com/ccc) would certainly be an option for you to consider.     Pmail me if you would like some more info (jdonovan at covergence.com)

Jim
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Ok.  Help me out, please.  I've got OCS R2, CUCM 6.1 working well together for making outbound calls through the mediation server. I do not have a CUPS server.
    I don't want to control my phone through MOC or have any integration between my Cisco phones.  How do I use MOC as an phone for inbound calls?  Is there a guide for this?  I feel like I'm so close but have a ways to go before I can use MOC as a phone for inbound calls.  Thanks!
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Hi,

As you are able to route calls out via your CUCM, I assume you have the required EV configuration done on the OCS side. Do you have a couple of DID numbers that you can assign to your MOC users? (This should match the tel: URI you configured for the OCS users)

If so, make sure those calls route through to your CUCM (via your gateway device) and using a normal routing pattern, route those calls to your Mediation server. If your number formats and normalization rules are correct, you should receive the calls on your MOC client.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:07 PM