Life after MCSE? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, well, im a qualified MCSE, A+, N+, Linux+, working as a systems administrator now, got lucky finding a job, having troubles paying rent etc etc, seems like the Microsoft track wasnt everything it seemed....

Anyways, my girlfriend is a hair stylist, and she does hair for alot of people working at the big Microsoft building here in our country, they seem to be doing well...

My question, what sort of qualification should I try and get in order to work directly for Microsoft or earn more than $900 per month?

Thanks in advance.

J

Monday, September 14, 2009 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi guys, well, im a qualified MCSE, A+, N+, Linux+, working as a systems administrator now, got lucky finding a job, having troubles paying rent etc etc, seems like the Microsoft track wasnt everything it seemed....

Anyways, my girlfriend is a hair stylist, and she does hair for alot of people working at the big Microsoft building here in our country, they seem to be doing well...

My question, what sort of qualification should I try and get in order to work directly for Microsoft or earn more than $900 per month?

Thanks in advance.

J

The best thing to do is check out Microsoft's own career site: https://careers.microsoft.com/ check out the requirements and if you don't have what's required (eg no degree or experience in a certain field) work on getting it.
    -Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:30 PM

All replies

Thanks in advance.

J

The best thing to do is check out Microsoft's own career site: https://careers.microsoft.com/ check out the requirements and if you don't have what's required (eg no degree or experience in a certain field) work on getting it.
    -Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:30 PM

Thanks in advance.

J

Where are you located? I only have an MCSA and not even a degree and make quite a bit more than $900/mo. In fact, even when I was a student managing a computer lab I still made more than that. The certifications really are not all that matters, they are just a way for you to get your foot on the door for an interview. It's really all about your experience and what you bring to the table. I would suggest to start shopping for a job, or if you like your current job, talk to your manager about how important you are to the company. If you ask for a raise, ask for a raise based on your merits and why you think you deserve it, not because you want the money.

Best of luck.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:07 PM
  • in my opinion, you should go toward to MCTS .
    many of mcse/mcsa has been retired.or is expiring ,to keep pace with the latest technology  windows server 2008.
    If the mainstream technoloy supports ends ,the mcse maybe expired.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:52 AM
  • If you really want good money, you should go for either Cisco CCNP,CCIP or CCDP or go for juniper JNCIS-ER or JNCIS-E series etc...

good luck

G
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Ccna and mcitp.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Ken,

That links not working! :o(

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

Friday, September 25, 2009 1:14 PM