Blue Screen after (un)install of add-ins and restart of console RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new HP MediaSmart server and I've been adding/removing add-ins as I try them out.  I am installing and uninstalling them using the console.  From the get go, every time I install or uninstall one, I have to restart the console.  I am brought to the screen to sign in and I do.  It then goes to a blue backround and the console never opens.  I have let it sit for up to an hour with it never opening the console.  There have been rare occassions where it works as expected, but in almost all cases, this issue happens.  I end up having to shut down the server using the power button on it and then booting it up again.  When I do that, everything is fine.

I have tried the Console reset thing on the sign in page, but it doesn't seem to help.

I do not have any MSI files in my \software\addins directory that aren't installed, so I don't think it's that.

What should be contained in the registry regarding add-ins?  Are there other places I can look to see what's causing the hangup?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:26 PM

Answers

• I have a new HP MediaSmart server and I've been adding/removing add-ins as I try them out.

To be honest, that is a terrible idea.  Every time you install/uninstall anything, you end up leaving bits and pieces behind and can cause problems (as you are now experiencing).  If you want to test an add-in, my suggestion is to set up a virtual machine and try it there.  This way you keep your production server stable.

I am installing and uninstalling them using the console.  From the get go, every time I install or uninstall one, I have to restart the console.  I am brought to the screen to sign in and I do.  It then goes to a blue backround and the console never opens.  I have let it sit for up to an hour with it never opening the console.  There have been rare occassions where it works as expected, but in almost all cases, this issue happens.  I end up having to shut down the server using the power button on it and then booting it up again.  When I do that, everything is fine.

I have tried the Console reset thing on the sign in page, but it doesn't seem to help.

I do not have any MSI files in my \software\addins directory that aren't installed, so I don't think it's that.

What should be contained in the registry regarding add-ins?  Are there other places I can look to see what's causing the hangup?
    Modifying the registry is unsupported, potentially very dangerous, and definitely not recommended.  You should perform a Server Recovery in order to fix your system.  It will reinstall the OS, but leave your data in tact.
    • Marked as answer by hemm11 Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:05 AM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I thought I was being selective and only trying out add-ins I needed and ones that are highly regarded by the community.  Somewhere something went wrong.  I think it was with the Advanced Admin Console add-in.

I never went the route of the registry.  I had just read about it and thought I might get a response that it's not a big deal if you edit the right thing.

I decided to just do a Server Recovery.  I didn't lose any data and only had to spend a bit of time setting up my settings properly.  I only installed the add-ins I knew would work and that I really wanted.

All good.  The Server Recovery process was quite smooth.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:05 AM

All replies

• I have a new HP MediaSmart server and I've been adding/removing add-ins as I try them out.

To be honest, that is a terrible idea.  Every time you install/uninstall anything, you end up leaving bits and pieces behind and can cause problems (as you are now experiencing).  If you want to test an add-in, my suggestion is to set up a virtual machine and try it there.  This way you keep your production server stable.

I am installing and uninstalling them using the console.  From the get go, every time I install or uninstall one, I have to restart the console.  I am brought to the screen to sign in and I do.  It then goes to a blue backround and the console never opens.  I have let it sit for up to an hour with it never opening the console.  There have been rare occassions where it works as expected, but in almost all cases, this issue happens.  I end up having to shut down the server using the power button on it and then booting it up again.  When I do that, everything is fine.

Modifying the registry is unsupported, potentially very dangerous, and definitely not recommended.  You should perform a Server Recovery in order to fix your system.  It will reinstall the OS, but leave your data in tact.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I thought I was being selective and only trying out add-ins I needed and ones that are highly regarded by the community.  Somewhere something went wrong.  I think it was with the Advanced Admin Console add-in.

I never went the route of the registry.  I had just read about it and thought I might get a response that it's not a big deal if you edit the right thing.

I decided to just do a Server Recovery.  I didn't lose any data and only had to spend a bit of time setting up my settings properly.  I only installed the add-ins I knew would work and that I really wanted.

All good.  The Server Recovery process was quite smooth.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:05 AM