Buying retail version off of ebay??? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it a good idea to buy a retail boxed version used off of ebay? If it is true that the retail can be moved around to different computers than it should be ok right???
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:36 AM

Answers

• I would not recommend purchasing Windows XP from an auction site where you have little or no recourse if the software turns out to be "non-genuine".  It would be best if you purchased Windows XP locally from a reputable store that sells computer software.
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:47 AM

All replies

• Aar,

Full retail licenses for XP can be moved from one computer to another as many times as you like, as long as it is activated on only one computer at a time.

Full retail licenses for XP can be sold without having to be installed on a computer.

A full retail package will have the Certificate of Authenticity on the exterior of the pretty retail box's boxtop, will have a pretty folder inside that containes a sponge rubber dot to hold the CD, of course the appropriate genuine hologram XP CDROM, an orange-yellow sticker with the Product Key, and some general user information on cards that fit into the folder.

Is it a good idea to buy it from ebay?  Personally, I wouldn't.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:45 AM
  • I would not recommend purchasing Windows XP from an auction site where you have little or no recourse if the software turns out to be "non-genuine".  It would be best if you purchased Windows XP locally from a reputable store that sells computer software.
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:47 AM