Configuring UPnP help? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, WHS experts.  Today i received my shiny new MediaSmart Home Server.  Very excited.  this thing will rock.  trouble is, my Linksys Router (model BEFW11S4) doesn't seem to support the UPnP step in the remote access setup.  So, I cannot currently access the server remotely nor see the web site I should have.  Does anyone know of a workaround for this or some alternate configuration that doesn't require me purchasing a new wireless router?

your help is HUGELY appreciated.

Cheers,

Scot B.  

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:17 AM

All replies

• If your router indicates that it has UPnP support at all, turn that support off, then go to PortForward.com and find your model router to learn how to configure the ports that Windows Home Server uses. Those ports are 80 (optional but strongly suggested), 443, and 4125.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:56 AM
  • Scott:

Welcome to WHS.

Some versions of this router support UPnP.  Look HERE, for example.  Make sure you have the latest firmware for your router.

If your version doesn't support UPnP, you can still have remote access and the website, it just requires forwarding ports 80, 443, and 4125 from your router's configuration pages.  Lots of info on this router HERE.  Exactly what steps you take to forward the ports will depend on the version you have - it looks like it's listed on page 33 of the version 1 manual.  Basically, you set up your server to have a static IP address on the network and them forward the above ports to that address using the TCP protocol.

Hope this helps.  If you need clarification on these steps. please let me know.

Regards:

Merrill

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:59 AM