Hyper-V Availability RRS feed

• Question

• Will Hyper-V be available for WHS v2?  I want to run WHS v1 as a virtual machine in order to maintain the Computer Database for backups until they expire.  I know that this is not useful for normal home uses; but it useful for very small businesses that are using WHS.
    Friday, May 7, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• You can run Vail in a virtual machine, but Hyper-V will not be supported in the sense of Vail as a "host".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BobinPrescott Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:40 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• You can run Vail in a virtual machine, but Hyper-V will not be supported in the sense of Vail as a "host".
    • Marked as answer by BobinPrescott Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:40 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Correct, and the Hyper-V role is not available on Vail.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:eee3861d-4008-4a88-932e-0c04debddf78...
    You can run Vail in a virtual machine, but Hyper-V will not be supported in the sense of Vail as a "host".
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Correct, and the Hyper-V role is not available on Vail.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:eee3861d-4008-4a88-932e-0c04debddf78...
    You can run Vail in a virtual machine, but Hyper-V will not be supported in the sense of Vail as a "host".

Hyper-V may not be supported or even available as a "role" in Vail, but the free version - Hyper-V Server 2008 - will certainly run both Vail and WHS v1 on the same machine.  And it is a support use of Hyper-V Server to do this (to exactly the same extent that MSs free software is "supported" at all...).  I'm running a server with both at home today, it works GREAT and may be the very best way to manage migration from v1 to Vail.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:25 PM