Release domain name <myname>.homeserver.com RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Homeserver running for many months. As domain name I used so far <myname>.homeserver.com. Few days ago I had to install the WHS from scratch. Naturally I wanted to furnish the same domain name. That is obviously no longer possible, because I get the error " The domain name is not available". The cause is probably that I deleted the Windows Live ID, under which the domain name had originally registered. Interestingly enough my WHS is still reachable via https://<myname>.homeserver.com, although I cannot furnish the Domain any longer. How do I have to proceed, so that the domain name <myname>.homeserver.com is released and I can register the old domain name under my new Windows Live ID?

greetings, aemmitaler

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:33 PM

Answers

• If you can't get into your old Windows Live account, there is no way I am aware of to release the domain name - it stays there linked to that account. You will still be able to get to your server using the domain name until the public IP address is changed (router power outage etc.), but if you have a fixed public IP you should be OK.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by aemmitaler Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I have a Homeserver running for many months. As domain name I used so far <myname>.homeserver.com. Few days ago I had to install the WHS from scratch. Naturally I wanted to furnish the same domain name. That is obviously no longer possible, because I get the error " The domain name is not available". The cause is probably that I deleted the Windows Live ID, under which the domain name had originally registered. Interestingly enough my WHS is still reachable via https://<myname>.homeserver.com, although I cannot furnish the Domain any longer. How do I have to proceed, so that the domain name <myname>.homeserver.com is released and I can register the old domain name under my new Windows Live ID?

greetings, aemmitaler

The domain is tied to the Windows Live ID via a token that Windows Home Server receives. Even if the Windows Live ID is removed (through end user action or because it's deleted due to inactivity) the token remains valid until the domain is released manually on the server. This token is why your domain continued to be "yours" even once you removed the Live ID.

Once you reinstall, you lose the token, so the domain is now locked and unavailable for anyone. It will eventually expire and become available again, but that takes months, I believe.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:41 AM

All replies

• If you can't get into your old Windows Live account, there is no way I am aware of to release the domain name - it stays there linked to that account. You will still be able to get to your server using the domain name until the public IP address is changed (router power outage etc.), but if you have a fixed public IP you should be OK.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:48 PM

greetings, aemmitaler

The domain is tied to the Windows Live ID via a token that Windows Home Server receives. Even if the Windows Live ID is removed (through end user action or because it's deleted due to inactivity) the token remains valid until the domain is released manually on the server. This token is why your domain continued to be "yours" even once you removed the Live ID.

Once you reinstall, you lose the token, so the domain is now locked and unavailable for anyone. It will eventually expire and become available again, but that takes months, I believe.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:41 AM