lost xp home edition cd, running professional, need to validate RRS feed

• Question

• somewhere along the line i lost my xp home edition cd and installed professional...well now microsoft is telling me my copy of windows isn't genuine...so i troubleshoot and enter the product key thats on my computer...the product key is for home edition, but i do not know where my home edition cd is, nor do i have the professional cd...my computer came with windows xp home edition (just like my product key says) so there's no reason i should have to buy a new copy of windows...is there a legit way to get back to home edition so i can validate?  i cant update to wmplayer 11 and i'm sure there's other stuff i'm not going to be able to do w/o validation...thanks
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hello Beanfiend,

Do you have a commercially built computer? If so please contact the Technical Support section and ask them how to aquire the System Recovery Media disc. Several vendors have stopped providing this media. The alternative is providing the customer with an utility (software program) on the computer and request them to make their own Software Recovery Media Disc. Usually there will be directions requesting them to immediately do this prior using the system. You may be required to pay a small handling fee for them to send one out but this is all up to the manufacturer. Also you may visit the companies forum where you can get information.

Hopefully this will offer additional assistance along with Carey :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hello Beanfiend,

Do you have a commercially built computer? If so please contact the Technical Support section and ask them how to aquire the System Recovery Media disc. Several vendors have stopped providing this media. The alternative is providing the customer with an utility (software program) on the computer and request them to make their own Software Recovery Media Disc. Usually there will be directions requesting them to immediately do this prior using the system. You may be required to pay a small handling fee for them to send one out but this is all up to the manufacturer. Also you may visit the companies forum where you can get information.

Hopefully this will offer additional assistance along with Carey :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:12 PM
  • alright...i'll check with dell and report back if necessary...thanks to you both
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:58 PM
  • problem solved.  dell sent me a replacement disc.  thanks.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:10 AM