Restore from a different backup RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I had to format and reinstall my OS. Unfortunately when I reinstalled OneCare, I realized afterwards that I had given the computer a different name... so the backup file that I wish to restore cannot be seen by the newly installed OneCare.

I'm sure there is a way to pick this back up... but am not sure how this can be done. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Using XP SP3 and the latest updates from OneCare

Cheers
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• As long as the backup is attached the same way on the restored PC as it was originally, meaning if it was made via a USB connection to an external disk, and that disk is now attached to the PC you wish to restore to, it should work.

Some people have reported that making a small backup to the drive from the "new" PC, selecting a file type that will do a quick and small backup, allows them to see the other saved backups on the drive.

Here are the instructions for performing a restore, taken from Instant Support:

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

7. Open OneCare.
    8. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    9. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    10. Click Custom Restore.
    11. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.
      –or–
      Restore files that were backed up from another computer.
      1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

12. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.
      –or–
      Restore specific types of files.
      1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

13. Click Restore files.
    14. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Pasted from <http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us>

-steve
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:52 PM

All replies

• As long as the backup is attached the same way on the restored PC as it was originally, meaning if it was made via a USB connection to an external disk, and that disk is now attached to the PC you wish to restore to, it should work.

Some people have reported that making a small backup to the drive from the "new" PC, selecting a file type that will do a quick and small backup, allows them to see the other saved backups on the drive.

Here are the instructions for performing a restore, taken from Instant Support:

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

7. Open OneCare.
    8. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    9. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    10. Click Custom Restore.
    11. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.
      –or–
      Restore files that were backed up from another computer.
      1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

12. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.
      –or–
      Restore specific types of files.
      1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.

13. Click Restore files.
    14. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Pasted from <http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us>

-steve
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:52 PM
  • I have exactly this same problem, Difference is I'm on Vista - Machine crashed, new hard drive, regenerated OS, things are working fine. I can't get my backup files back.  I tried your detailed directions, but just get a can't resotre because of the system can not see any files to restore.  I need further help.

I never get an option to restore from a different computer,  most confused.

Douglas Felsenthal

PC is a Sony Vaio - VGN CR290 -

Monday, July 7, 2008 1:42 AM
  • The restore guide Steve posted would work as well with Vista. Are you able to browse to your backup location and see the backup folders in Windows Explorer?

Monday, July 7, 2008 5:43 AM