Data Base in VS 2008 problems RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got a new computer from HP with Windows 7 Professional and I can't get my VS to do data bases!  I had VS 2005 on my old computer and it worked OK.  I loaded the VS 2005 on the new computer (installing it as per Microsoft's instructions) and I had problems right away with data the base part of VS 2005.  I then removed it and installed VS 2008 Express and I still get the same problem.  All else seems to work.  I can see the data in the "Preview Data" I can switch to other tables and see the data in those files with the "Preview Data" window. 
    The error I'm getting I have copyed below.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Stephen Rammer 

System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
      Message="The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine."
      Source="System.Data"
      StackTrace:
           at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbServicesWrapper.GetDataSource(OleDbConnectionString constr, DataSourceWrapper& datasrcWrapper)
           at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
           at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
           at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
           at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
           at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
           at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
           at My_DataGridView_Sample.StudentsDataSetTableAdapters.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(StudentsDataSet dataSet) in C:\vb08sbs\chap19\My DataGridView Sample\My DataGridView Sample\StudentsDataSet.Designer.vb:line 8473
           at My_DataGridView_Sample.Form1.InstructorsBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\vb08sbs\chap19\My DataGridView Sample\My DataGridView Sample\Form1.vb:line 6
           at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
           at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
           at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
           at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
           at My_DataGridView_Sample.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81
           at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
           at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
      InnerException:
    • Moved by Yuanli Guo 郭远丽 Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:56 AM forum cleanup (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 3:32 PM