none
Extracting Money Installation File to Avoid Autorun Error RRS feed

• General discussion

• You can run the Sunset installation program with command line switches that allows you to extract the files, so you can get to setup.exe and avoid any autorun.inf problem.

Put the USMoneyDlxSunset.exe (or BIZ) into a your "My Documents" (if using XP) or your "Documents" folder if using Windows 7 or Vista.  Open a command window. Then enter the four commands below. While they look cryptic, they are the way they are to allow various versions of Windows and do not have to be modified for different user names.

To enter the commands you can either type them, or do a copy and paste.  Then press the Enter key. This article seems to have a good description of how to paste into a command window: http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/index.php/copy-and-paste-in-the-command-screen/

===================begin=======================
    cd %USERPROFILE%\*documents

USMoneyDlxSunset.exe /C /T:%TEMP%\Sunset

cd %TEMP%\Sunset

mnyinst

==============end================================

Here is a description of what the above four commands each are doing:

1.  switch the command window to your documents folder.  That way the
        USMoneyDlxSunset.exe will be accessible to run.  CD stands for Change
        Directory.  Directory is another word for folder.

2.  do the extraction command putting the files in a new folder within your
        temp folder.

3.  switch to that new folder.  That new folder has the setup.exe file as
        well as the other files needed for the install.

4.  run mnyinst.exe to do the Money Plus Sunset install.  For this purpose you
        do not have to type the .exe part, although is permitted

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:58 PM

All replies

• I am getting a syntax error - I am not a programmer :(

Also, I am trying to do this for Money 2006 so what would the correct .exe file be?  On the CD it only shows SETUP and in the properties for that file it doesn't show the name of the .exe file

Deanna S Jenkins

Monday, March 7, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I am getting a syntax error - I am not a programmer :(

Also, I am trying to do this for Money 2006 so what would the correct .exe file be?  On the CD it only shows SETUP and in the properties for that file it doesn't show the name of the .exe file

This thread is not about installing Money 2006 from the CD. This thread is for those getting an Autorun error when running the Sunset install file. In the other thread, you said you were having a problem (not exclusively) with Sunset.

With your Money 2006 CD, open your Money 2006 CD with Windows Explorer. Find Setup or Setup.exe on that disk. Right-click that file, and choose RunAsAdministrator.

Monday, March 7, 2011 11:36 PM
  • I did state in my first post that I have tried installing BOTH programs and am getting the same error.  I have also already tried to run as administrator......

I have tried installing these programs on both my WIndows 7 PC and on the hard drive from my WIndows Vista PC.

Deanna S Jenkins
    Monday, March 7, 2011 11:44 PM
  • I did state in my first post that I have tried installing BOTH programs and am getting the same error.  I have also already tried to run as administrator......

I have tried installing these programs on both my WIndows 7 PC and on the hard drive from my WIndows Vista PC.

Your point would be?   You did not say you ran setup.exe from your CD. This extraction method would potentially help with only one of the programs (e.g., Money Plus Deluxe Sunset) you posted about.

I suspect you have a friend that sometimes helps you with computer issues. That friend might be helpful in going over the potential solutions.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 12:01 AM
  • I am having the same problem installing money plus deluxe sunset...

I have tried the above process. I copied this line for line (with the exception of my name) and I too got the syntax error message. I must be leaving something out. I tried moving the exe to "My documents" folder and I even tried moving it to "documents and settings/money". Right now, the exe is back in my download file. My name is <money>. Can someone please write me a custom step by step process?

Tell me where to move the exe, what to type in the cmd, and then where to go from there. PLEASE help me out! ;-)

Thank you. 

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:44 PM
  • I am having the same problem installing money plus deluxe sunset...

I have tried the above process. I copied this line for line (with the exception of my name) and I too got the syntax error message. I must be leaving something out. I tried moving the exe to "My documents" folder and I even tried moving it to "documents and settings/money". Right now, the exe is back in my download file. My name is <money>. Can someone please write me a custom step by step process?

Tell me where to move the exe, what to type in the cmd, and then where to go from there. PLEASE help me out! ;-)

Thank you. 

Are you saying that when you typed "setup" and pressed the Enter key, you got the error message that contained the word "Autorun" in the message?
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:15 AM
  • I downloaded the link from Microsoft for Sunset Money. When the download was complete, I ended up with a "USMoneyDlxSunset.exe" in my download folder. I opened the USMoneyDlxSunset.exe and pressed run. I then got a window that started "extracting" all the files. When the bar almost reaches the end, I got the error message saying "The AUTORUN.INF file is missing or corrupt."

I then came here and read all the posts about the problems people are having. I seen the method posted at the top of this forum:

Put the USMoneyDlxSunset.exe (or BIZ) into a subfolder, such as "My Documents" or "Documents.  Using a CMD window, CD to that folder, then run the following using the full path, not a relative path:

USMoneyDlxSunset.exe /C /T:"C:\Users\<your name>\My Documents\Sunset"

This will extract all the files into a newly made subfolder (Sunset).  You may get a pop-up at the end that warns you that the program may not have installed correctly.  Cancel that dialog.

So after reading this, I tried. I moved the USMoneyDlxSunset.exe out of my "Download" folder and into "My Documents" folder. I then opened "Command Promt" from my Accesories Folder. I then typed in the following:

USMoneyDlxSunset.exe /C /T:"C:\Users\money\My Documents\Sunset 

"money" is <my name>. I hit enter and received this:

"USMoneyDlxSunset.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

That is as detailed as I can get. Can you please tell me what I left out or did wrong? Thank you.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Yes.

You wanted to precede the command that gave the error with this command where money represents your name:

cd "C:\Users\money\My Documents\"

cd stands for Change Directory. Directory is another name for folder. The error you got was because when you typed the command, Windows did not see that command. You would have gotten that kind of error if you had typed jjjjjj.exe because jjjjjj.exe is not found. The part of the error that refers to an internal command refers to command like CD and DIR, which are built into Windows. When you type into a command window, Windows looks for the command in the current directory among other places. By doing the CD to the same folder/directory that contains USMoneyDlxSunset.exe, Windows will find the file to execute as a command.

My description where I used %TEMP% expected you to actually type those characers.  That string means something special to Windows: it is a way of referring to a particular folder owned by the current user without actually knowing your username or having to substitute. It is just a way. It is not the way. So adding the CD before your method should work. But I think using the literal  commands that I entered would also work.

Post back with your further problems or success.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I have gotten a few steps forward. I now have extracted everything to a folder called "sunset". I went inside the folder and found the "setup.exe". I pressed the Setup.exe button, and then got the error "The AUTORUN.INF file is missing or corrupt".

What do I do now?

Friday, March 25, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I see the flaw in my description above. I infer you are using Windows XP due to your command prompt not using "Users". I will think about revising my process.

In the command window from the

C:\Documents and Settings\owner>

prompt, enter this command:

cd "My Documents"

There are no backslashes in the command above. Do exactly that. After that, I expect the prompt to be

C:\Documents and Settings\owner\My Documents>

Assuming that is true, then enter the three commands between begin and end above. You may be able to copy and paste the commands if the command window is set up for such editing. The way to paste into a command window, if enabled, is to do a right-click. If pasting doesn't work, it will probably be easier to just type the commands than to set the properties for the command window.

Friday, March 25, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Cal,

Yes I have xp....

I already got this far. It worked, and I now have a folder called "sunset" with everything in it. My problem now is that when I find setup.exe and press it, I STILL get the AUTORUN.INF failed error. Any idea's?

Friday, March 25, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I was afraid of that. I am sorry. I never got that error message myself, so I was not able to test that aspect. So where would I go from here?

The second post in the http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/88469380-32ba-4286-94c3-688a08474477 thread describes a regedit key I would like you to look for. If it exists, delete it. No need to rename, although that would work too. The rename is so you could easily put that key back, but that key is not normal way of disabling autorun. I suggest you ask a friend who has used regedit to help you with this.

If you do not find such a key, I would use the techniques in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 to enable autorun temporarily.  See the fixit Microsoft Fix it 50475 option to enable. After installation of Money, I would use the other Fixit  Microsoft Fix it 50471 to disable autorun if you want to avoid the problems that autorun can cause if you put some infected DVD or USB drive into your computer..

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I was afraid of that. I am sorry. I never got that error message myself, so I was not able to test that aspect. So where would I go from here?

The second post in the http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/88469380-32ba-4286-94c3-688a08474477 thread describes a regedit key I would like you to look for. If it exists, delete it. No need to rename, although that would work too. The rename is so you could easily put that key back, but that key is not normal way of disabling autorun. I suggest you ask a friend who has used regedit to help you with this.

If you do not find such a key, I would use the techniques in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 to enable autorun temporarily.  See the fixit Microsoft Fix it 50475 option to enable. After installation of Money, I would use the other Fixit  Microsoft Fix it 50471 to disable autorun if you want to avoid the problems that autorun can cause if you put some infected DVD or USB drive into your computer..

I found the key and it did have "Doesnotexcist" So I tried renaming it and now I just tried deleting it. I still get the Autorun Error.

I tried the 2nd method you posted and got the same.

I guess you have run out of idea's right? So stupid that they make software with no support.

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Plan A:

Reboot your computer and try the install again by repeating the third and fourth commands of the four.

Plan B:

Open  a command window. Do these two commands that depend on some of the steps you have already done:

=================Begin plan b================
    cd %TEMP%\Sunset
    MNYINST
    =================End plan b==================

As the windows appear, accept each and finish.

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Cal,

I have been following all of your instructions with the command lines.  However, i am still getting the same error of AUTORUN.INF is missing or corrupt.  I have Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.  I do have the Registry Key but in my file it says: @SYS:{8CD0BB97-FA70-4f92-94B7-76E0BEC68D90} in the autorun.inf file.  I have the Money CD and I downloaded the file USMoneyDlxSunset.exe.  I have tried all of those solutions but I am coming up empty handed...any suggestions?  Do I need to change the registry key?  I'm not sure what i need to change it to. 

Thanks

Bruno

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Cal,

I have been following all of your instructions with the command lines.  However, i am still getting the same error of AUTORUN.INF is missing or corrupt.  I have Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.  I do have the Registry Key but in my file it says: @SYS:{8CD0BB97-FA70-4f92-94B7-76E0BEC68D90} in the autorun.inf file.  I have the Money CD and I downloaded the file USMoneyDlxSunset.exe.  I have tried all of those solutions but I am coming up empty handed...any suggestions?  Do I need to change the registry key?  I'm not sure what i need to change it to. 

Thanks

Bruno

If you have the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf] then you should delete it.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Ok thanks I did that and it worked!  The only problem is that I got the blue screen of death and it did a physical dump...but now i'm up and running...thanks again!

Friday, April 22, 2011 4:42 AM
  • I was having the same problems ... with windows 7 ... followed through all your instructions below, and still got the message (autorun error).  Your plan B instruction seemed to work ... Initially I received a pop-up warming that I needed to run "setup.exe" first, but I just said "No" to that (because I had already tried that several times), and it seems to have installed and looks like it is working.  Thank you so much!
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Cal,  You seem to be the MAN when it comes to helping us noobs figure out the AUTORUN problem.  I am currently running the Money 2004 version on my Windows XP and am looking to "upgrade" to the 2008 version...at least temporarily.  Since MS took the Money program out, I will probably go to Quicken, but Quicken cannot convert Money 2004 files. :(  I assume Money 2008 *can* convert Money 2004 files.

Anyway, Cal, I am also running into the AUTORUN problem.  I *did* try the command prompt idea you had above for the Sunset version, replacing "msmny2008" for the word "sunset".  I got all the way down to the end, entered "setup", and got the AUTORUN message.

Stumblin' around here in the void, Cal.  Can you help me? :)

Bobo

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Money Plus Deluxe Sunset (Money 2008) will  convert a US Money 2004 file and it will enable the Quicken converter to work.

Instead of entering "setup" into the folder you created, try "MNYINST".

Let us know how this works out. I should clean this discription up.

That "sunset" was just an arbitrary name for a folder to expand files into. You called your folder msmny2008. That's good.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:44 PM
  • CAL, YOU ARE THE MAN!  I am serious, dude.  This thing has been my bugaboo for the past 48 hours or so...rackin' my feeble brain, trying to recall all the stuff I learned YEARS ago but has since gone to the dustbowl of my mind...so much so that I feel like a blind man with a broken cane.

I loaded up that MNYINST, and *BOOM SHAK-A-LAKA!* it started to install.

Many, many thanks....God bless.

bobo

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:33 PM
  • 3 days of pulling out my hair and finally a thread that solved the problem!  You rock!!  Thank you.

PS- I now completely hate Microsoft.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:47 AM
  • The tip works just fine. Great help.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:13 PM
  • This rocks, I use Windows 7 Ultimate and my temp file was C:\Users\myname\AppData\local\Temp\Sunset... I just went in and ran mnyinst.exe and it worked, I did get a message about using setup.exe, but I didn't select stop and use setup.exe I continued with the mnyinst and it worked (that was for the business version).  I then tried the Deluxe version and it worked without the message about using the setup.exe....

Thanks for your help!

I just opened a CMD window, went to the drive and directory where the download was saved... ran your USMoneyDlxSunset.exe /C /T:%TEMP%\Sunset command  then explored to the  C:\Users\myname\AppData\local\Temp\Sunset  file, then double clicked on the file mnyinst  (careful there is another file named mnyinsit.exe you don't want it...) 

Sunday, September 9, 2012 3:44 PM
  • After typing the second line, I'm getting "access denied".

Am I doing something wrong?

Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:17 PM
  • After typing the second line, I'm getting "access denied".

Am I doing something wrong?

Access problems confuse and frustrate me. I wish I could gets some kind of indication of what it was that I attempted that Windows did not want to permit.

Try opening a new command window by right-clicking a command window lauch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator. Then in that window enter (I hope you are pasting) the commands.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Cal... you are indeed tha man!

After a ton of trials, reboots and bad words... It worked and I am now a happy camper.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. I will recommend this place to everyone I know!

Spyder

• Edited by Spyder7 Saturday, February 9, 2013 8:22 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Cal - and Everyone -

This Solution was Genius!

The only thing I'd add, for you folks not used to working off the C:\ prompt, is the following.

1) Instructions from Cal on how to get there All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt; and

2) once into the C:\ drive to BE VERY AWARE of the "spaces" between letters in Cal's instructions in the code above.  It has to be 100% accurate to work, which I found out from trial and error.

Also recommend that you copy and print or store his instructions in your Money file for later use if necessary.  Took me a long time to get to this point.

But, as I say, Cal - GENIUS !!

Thanks so much.

Neill

Monday, April 1, 2013 5:50 PM
  • After I found the folder through search that the files were extracted to this worked a treat. I have been using laptop for many years but this was beyond me till I read your post, thank you so much..I dont know why ms money is not made anymore simply the best there is. Once again thankyou.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:06 PM