Installing Windows XP Home Edition RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive on my desktop crashed and I purchased another hard drive.  I had an upgrade of Windows XP Home Edition installed on that computer.  I have the product key and CD for the upgrade.  I tried to install it on the new hard drive and it tells me that the CD is not a valid CD (meaning it is not the full version of Windows XP).  It asks me to insert several other CD versions of Windows and I don't have any of those (Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium and several others).  How do I get my Windows XP installed?  This is a computer that I no longer use and I want to donate it but not without some version of Windows installed.  thanks.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hello seafever,

Upgrade licenses for Windows XP will NOT install unless there is a previous qualifying installation of Windows already installed on the computer, or, unless you can supply the installation media for a previous qualifying Windows to Setup.

You will have to satisfy one or the other criteria to install an upgrade license for XP on this computer.

Option 1.  Purchase one of the required OSs and either install or supply the disc to setup; be sure to send the required previous OS disc and the XP upgrade disc with the computer when you donate it.

Option 2.  Install a "free" OS.

Option 3.  Donate the computer with no OS.  Sell the retail upgrade for XP Home on an auction site.

Question:  Does the computer case have a Certificate of Authenticity for some Version of Windows affixed to it?  If so tell us what version, but don't post the product key.  Is this a name brand computer?

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:56 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hello seafever,

Upgrade licenses for Windows XP will NOT install unless there is a previous qualifying installation of Windows already installed on the computer, or, unless you can supply the installation media for a previous qualifying Windows to Setup.

You will have to satisfy one or the other criteria to install an upgrade license for XP on this computer.

Option 1.  Purchase one of the required OSs and either install or supply the disc to setup; be sure to send the required previous OS disc and the XP upgrade disc with the computer when you donate it.

Option 2.  Install a "free" OS.

Option 3.  Donate the computer with no OS.  Sell the retail upgrade for XP Home on an auction site.

Question:  Does the computer case have a Certificate of Authenticity for some Version of Windows affixed to it?  If so tell us what version, but don't post the product key.  Is this a name brand computer?

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:56 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Thanks for all the info.  Question #1...do I just google "free OS" to find a free OS?

Yes...my desktop is an HP Pavilion a1209n and it does have a Certificate of Authenticity on the side of the computer for Windows XP Home Edition.  It also includes the product key.  Will this help me get a full version of Windows XP Home Edition??  Thanks

Monday, December 6, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Hello seafever3,

If there is a CoA for XP Home on the computer, it is still licensed to run XP Home if the motherboard is still the original motherboard.

Here is the support page for your computer:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1162597&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20»  See if you can contact HP to order Recovery Discs for your computer.

If no recovery discs from HP, try www.restoredisks.com or similar.

If no joy there or elsewhere, you can use a systembuilder/OEM genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation CD for XP Home Edition, if you can borrow one from a friend or relative who might have one.  It will accept the product key on the CoA (while your retail upgrade disc will not accept the product key on the CoA).  After installation is complete, you will most likely have to do a Telephonic Activation rather than an automatic online activation.

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:26 PM
  • You mentioned that I could get a free OS online and I checked and there are lots out there.  Since I can't use my desktop computer to download, I will have to use my laptop.  Once the download is complete can I then copy that file to a CD to use in my desktop??  Will this damage my laptop in any way??  And if this works, which free "OS" would you recommend??  Once the free "OS" is on my desktop, can I then use my upgrade XP Home Edition to load onto my desktop??  I know...lots of questions.

I tried your support pages for hp and didn't get much of a response.  And restoredisks.com is expensive.  I could purchase a full version of windows 95 on ebay for less than $10 and that would load on my desktop and then I could begin the upgrade process.

Thanks again for all your help

Monday, December 6, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Hello seafever3,

The free OS i was referring to would be some flavor of Linux.  Whatever the current release of Ubuntu linux is, is usually the version of Linux that is considered as close to XP as possible in the ease of installation and ease of use aspects.

You cannot upgrade from Linux to XP using a MS Upgrade disc.

I was not referring to the many warezz and file share sites that have copies of XP to download.  Stay as far away from those as possible, because the "free" downlaods often come with malware, rootkits, and other nasties embedded.  Who needs that?

Getting something on eBay is a viable option as the older Microsoft OSs are much less likely to be counterfeit.  But "less likely" does not mean "impossible" so be careful.

Also, IIRC, Windows 95 is not a qualifying OS to upgrade to XP.  Back in the early days of XP this was a sore point as the text displayed during setup tells you that W95 qualifies but it really does not according to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  According to the first paragraph here, http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.php  though, there is a bug that will allow you to just use a W95 disc to feed to setup while doing a clean installation with your upgrade disc.

One final thought, if you know to whom you will be donating the computer, ask if they need an OS on the computer in the first place.  It would be unfortunate to jump thru all these hoops only to find out that they will be doing something else with the computer and don't need to have Windows installed.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Dan,

One final question....I found a website www.warzeko.com that has a full version of Windows XP Home Edition download that is a free download.  It claims that it is virus-free.  Do I dare trust this download.  I also found various websites that offer Windows 98 full version downloads for free.  If you feel it is OK to download this to my laptop, then how do I copy it to a CD to use in my desktop to get it up and running?  Thanks...Dennis

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hello seafever3,

"...I was not referring to the many warezz and file share sites that have copies of XP to download.  Stay as far away from those as possible, because the "free" downlaods often come with malware, rootkits, and other nasties embedded.  Who needs that?..."

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:51 PM