Importing 64 leads from excel created over 22,000 leads RRS feed

• Question

• We tried to import 64 leads from an excel spreadsheet and instead of getting 64 leads we ended up with over 22,000 empty leads. The only thing in the additional leads is the zip code of the first lead.

As we were creating the import job we noticed that there was a new entry for the Option Set Mapping that we have never seen before and it just says (Empty) and the default is ignore. I'm not sure what that has to do with creating thousands of extra leads, but it is something different.

Thanks for the help!

Gary

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:29 PM

Answers

• Did you have rows at the file of the data that just contained spaces? Thiswould explain the extra records and why the option set saw an empty value.

To be safe when I import I try and select a good chunk of extra space below my data and right click and delete just to be sure I don't pick up an records with spaces.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:33 PM

All replies

• Did you have rows at the file of the data that just contained spaces? Thiswould explain the extra records and why the option set saw an empty value.

To be safe when I import I try and select a good chunk of extra space below my data and right click and delete just to be sure I don't pick up an records with spaces.

Jason Lattimer

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:33 PM
  • I'm not sure how to tell in Excel.

The person importing the data is going to copy the rows with data to an empty spreadsheet.

Thanks for the reply!

• Edited by GaryMk Monday, June 17, 2013 6:39 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 6:37 PM
  • If you are importing a .csv or .txt you could open the file (assuming you are using a delimiter like a comma) in notepad and look for a bunch of commas with no data. 

Jason Lattimer

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:45 PM