none
When to upgrade memory in EX475? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a HP MediaSmart EX475 that just came and I just ordered a 2GB stick of memory for the upgrade everyone is talking about.  However, since I have yet to unbox the EX475 and hook it all up, I wanted to know whether it would be better to install the upgraded RAM before or after starting up the machine and setting it up for the first time.  I could see that it would improve the speed for creating the settings, but does the stock memory need to be present for the first boot for any reason (like a program is held in the memory for first boot but is removed afterward)?

Just curious on everyone's expert thoughts...  Thanks.

-Schmitty03
    Friday, November 21, 2008 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I can see no benefit in installing the upgrade _first_.

So I personally would get my brand new MediaSmart up and running first to get familiar with it and see if it is OK (for the out-of-the-box configuration without any additional add-ins etc. 512MB of memory is quite sufficient).

Upgrade to memory stick afterwards when you feel confortable with it.
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Schmitty03 Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:57 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I can see no benefit in installing the upgrade _first_.

So I personally would get my brand new MediaSmart up and running first to get familiar with it and see if it is OK (for the out-of-the-box configuration without any additional add-ins etc. 512MB of memory is quite sufficient).

Upgrade to memory stick afterwards when you feel confortable with it.
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Schmitty03 Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:57 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Theo.  I was thinking about it over the weekend and will most likely do just what you say.  If by chance the box is a dud, I wouldn't necessary know that if I installed the RAM first.  I'll configure it and then install the RAM as you suggest.  Thanks!

-Schmitty03
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:57 PM