Vistas Firewall RRS feed

• General discussion

• Vistas Firewall is a good step forward. I would like to see this migrated to WHS
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:16 PM

All replies

• Will you be hooking up your WHS live to the internet with nothing in between?  It should be less of a focus on firewalls and more of a focus on unnecessary services that can make a server vulnerable.  Plus, since this is W2K3 based, I don't know how well the Vista F/W will port if at all ...
    Monday, March 5, 2007 7:04 PM
  •  Jim J. wrote:
    Will you be hooking up your WHS live to the internet with nothing in between?  It should be less of a focus on firewalls and more of a focus on unnecessary services that can make a server vulnerable.  Plus, since this is W2K3 based, I don't know how well the Vista F/W will port if at all ...

I dont think porting would be a problem at all. and no My WHS will always be behind the router, I dont use it for e-mail or browsing except for error links in the event viewer Etc., Probably the only time I will use IE at all is for local sharepoint use and administration or to search for Knowledge base articles while I'm working on or troublshooting the server. I need the Remote access through the web so that is a "necessary" service..

But as smart as the Script Kiddi's are, and as soon as WHS hits the market they will try to attack it and it's remote acess capabilites. I would like some outbound protection right off the bat to keep my WHS from turning into somebody elses BOT or spam machine. As long as theres a remote access Webserver theres an opening/vulnerability  whether it's been written yet or not

Rex

Monday, March 5, 2007 9:45 PM