Using Disk Management Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Duo Q9400 Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 4G RAM, 250G HD.  That main HD is partitioned by Dell as C (OS), D (Dell Backup w/Norton Ghost), and E (Windows Recovery).

I am already using an external HD with ShadowProtect Desktop to image C each week.  I have no interest in retaining D partition and E partition.  Am I correct that I can access the Vista Windows Disk Management tool and execute:

-----Delete E

-----Delete D

-----Extend C to reclaim the full physical HD

From all I have read, as well as the Disk Management Help files, it seems I can, but Dell Tech Supp was hesitant to give it their full blessing until I checked in the MS world first.  I don't want to move forward with my plan if there are any nightmare scenarios that I might be overlooking.  Anyone with any experience or advice would be much appreciated to offer your perspective.

Thanks!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Careful Jim, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows Vista related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows Vista forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/threads/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forum regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:22 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:07 AM